excercise help

1 post, 1 contributor

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

ketostix pla... DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
25 posts

Hi, I am a 39 old diabetic, who was diagnosed when 3 years old. I fortunately do not have any complications, just mild changes of someone who has had diabetes for my length of time. I completed DAFNE almost 3 years ago, and overall in better control but suffer from dawn phenomena which I control with corrections, and have had discussions with doctor and am happy to treat this way.
I know this is a grey area but any advice or guidance would be appreciated. I visit the gym between 3-5 a week and suffer with recovery before my next visit and am really going through the motions on following visits, and building a bit of tone does seem impossible. I must point out that I am not looking to become the hulk or a throwback from the wrestler days of the 80's lol, just get a bit of tone and definition.
I know supplements are widely frowned upon, and honestly I would not want to cause complications or issues but a little help without problems. I have found a whey protein which is advised to be taken before and after exercise and in morning, which I would only want to take after exercise to help recovery and not the stated 3 times a day. it contains for every 100g of dose which is taken with milk(which I would count) 25g protein, 1.2g carb & 0.75g sugar. what is your feelings on this as stated I would not want to cause kidney/problems or erratic blood tests.
The other option which was advised by trainer in gym (limited diabetic knowledge) says that enomo acid tablets before and after training would not cause problems. I have searched web with mixed views on this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as stated without causing any problems short term or long term. Many thanks Dean Confused