Hypos leaving me 'wiped out'.

8 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

FayeM
Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter
4 posts

Since the start of this year I have noticed my hypos have a new 'after-effect'.
For about 24 hours I feel absolutely exhausted. I have little desire to move about and find myself sleeping alot if i'm not at work.
I have checked my blood when I feel like this and i'm within my range.
I've been told hypos can leave you feeling 'wiped out' but it seems odd to suddenly have this new side-effect.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I only recently started getting head aches after I have treated my hypos...........

does it happen all the time.......?

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hi,
I went to an endocrinologist a while back who slammed me for not knowing my hypo symptoms. I get a tessellation pattern in the R upper quadrant of my R eye which if left unattended eventually goes to two large white light donuts, This is a totally reliable hypo symptom for me! Clocks in at about 3.3-3.8! She rubbished the idea and even suggested to my GP that my license be taken away. When I saw my opthamologist I queried him. He said they are classic migraines (without the associated pain). His information is that the low BG triggers migraine symptoms. It certainly fits with my info as migraines are common in my family. Just a thought.

Helen

FayeM
4 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
does it happen all the time.......?

So far this year, yes. Every hypo has been followed by 24 hours-ish of exhaustion.

NuMo DAFNE Graduate
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
28 posts

Hello Faye.
My hypos have always left me as you describe. Often still feeling pretty s--t the next day. All I can say is that it does pass, though it seems little consolation. Maybe someone can shed some light - have any of the HCPs anything to offer?

Hello HelenP.
Your eye symptoms are exactly what I used to get some years back before I was diagnosed diabetic. My optician said they classic symptoms of what he called "silent migaine", i.e. one without pain. I hadn't realised I was a migraine sufferer before though I did and do get really bad headaches from time to time. Since his diagosis, I have been able to deal with them without them becoming as bad again. Your saying that a hypo can set them off seems very logical to me given the stress of a hypo. It seems unreasonable to lose your licence because of a migraine.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hi NuMo.

If I can get glucose (4 jelly beans) fairly quickly the light disappears almost instantly it is when you are trying to look for the jellybeans and meter that I come unstuck. I do not get, nor, ever have had a bad headache. I am not sure it is the stress of a hypo but rather the actual low BG.

The endo's problem was that I was siting these symptoms as hypo symptoms and she was having nothing to do with it, stating if I did not know what hypo symptoms were (shaking etc) then I should not be driving. The shakes etc come in for me well after the "silent" migraine symptoms so I know what I will respond to. The opthamologist expressed his frustration and said he (given the current circumstances) was quite happy for me to drive so he now signs my licence medical certificate. On the advice of my GP i changed endocrinologists. Helen

Sarah Birkett DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

Hi Faye,
I have this sometimes too (although not always so I don't know what the explanation for that is), where I feel totally fatigued for a good 24 hours after a hypo, I actually find it makes me feel incredibly emotional too, it's like being depressed for 24 hours! Have you been having quite a few hypos, or big swings between blood glucose readings? Because I find that when my control is more rollercoaster-like, hypos affect me for much longer than when it's just an odd blip?

Sarah

FayeM
4 posts

Hey all. Turned out there was another underlying condition that was making my hypos 'behave differently'.
I definately think if your hypos start doing different things after a long time it's worth checking with a doctor to make sure there's nothing more going on. =]
Luckily i'm back to the normal 'dizzy, numb tongue, spinny room' hypos I normally have.