7 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Ariane DAFNE Graduate
Queen Mary Hospital, Sidcup
14 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Right!
So I though I would take the plunge on here and ask away. Very Happy

After graduating I am still grappling with most of it, but there is one thing that is very confusing ...

If I get up at 12 o'clock because I have had a lie in and subsequently eat what is 'breakfast' to me, do I use my breakfast or lunch time ratio?
Up till now I have used the logic that it is 12pm which technically according to time of day is time for a lunch time ratio of insulin, in my case 2:1, doing this has made me hypo twice over two days at exactly the same reading and time so it is definitely a question of too much insulin. Rolling Eyes

What do I do?
a. When I have a lie in do my breakfast ratio until any time before 3pm
b. Take it down unit by unit until i find the right balance ( I feel this is more risky and I'm less inclined...)

I don't want DAFNE usage to become synonymous with more hypos in my daily life or feeling like I can't sleep in Sad , which seems to be what is happening at the moment.

Advice please!!!!!!

Ax

pauleiken
North East Essex CCG
2 posts

My ratios are 3:1 breakfast, 2:1 lunch and 1:1 dinner, it seems for me to be the time of day and not meal which dictates ratios, if I have a lie in and get up about 10:30/11ish I find that the 3:1 is too much and cut it to 2.5:1 or even 2:1, and if lunch is late then I have to cut that ratio too. Hope it helps!

Ariane DAFNE Graduate
14 posts

Thanks Pauleiken, great to get such a rapid response!
It does help but what I am suggesting is sort of the opposite, because my ratios get higher not lower as the day progresses- I go from 1.5:1 , 2:1 to 2.5 :1.

So I think what we are saying is that if you get up late your first meal of the day should be treated as your first ratio of the day regardless of time, on that logic I would be 1.5:1 @ Midday 'Breakfast' & 2:1 @ 4 pm 'Lunch' + 2.5:1 @ 8pm dinner if I had it.

Does that make sense Question

P.s I am slightly confused since I thought it was healthcare professionals answering these questions in this forum???lol! Not that I don't appreciate your advice!!!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

To be honest you dont see HCPs answering many questions, there are only a few that come on from time to time, they must be busy eh?..... Wink

A lot of the more experienced DAFNE graduates know more anyway, as we are actually managing our blood sugars on a daily basis...

Insulin/Carb ratios exist because of insulin resistance, and insulin resistance is observed to change by time of day.....

So in the morning you are more resistant because of the hormones swimming around that's job is to make you more resistant.....

So whenever you get up, whether is 12:00pm or 17:00pm,. you would use the ratio for that time of day....

So for your example, you would use your lunchtime ratio if you get up at lunchtime (12:00)...

I personally haven't experienced my ratios being too much or too little when I do sleep later, however with two under 5 kiddies, I hardly ever get past 9:30am.....

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

Hi,

Clearly, if you are seeing a pattern of hypos and you are certain that your CP estimation was accurate, the 2:1 ratio may be too high (however the alternative is that your once daily BI dose of 32u may not be correct and you'd need to do some CP-free meals to check this out).

It's trial and error and you should be able to eat when and what you choose. So try a 1.5:1 ratio in the first instance and carry on testing, recording, etc to see if it works.

Good luck

Carolin

Ariane DAFNE Graduate
14 posts

Hi all,
Thanks very much for the advice:
The issue isn't so much whether my ratio should come down in general its specific to having a lie in...
a. My ratios go up in the day not down towards night time and
b. On any other day void from hypos or lie-ins 2:1 at lunch time is the right dose, if not too low at times.
c. Carb free meals have put me steadily at 8.7

So really the only thing that makes sense is to do my breakfast ratio, @ Carolin (which happens to be the 1.5:1 ratio) when I get up what ever the time of day, that's why I wanted to check!
But I guess it really is an individual thing! Idea

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

If I get up late like that, I tend to take the ratio for the meal I would normally have at that time of day (so in this case, I'd take my lunchtime ratio). Not too many problems with that... though saying that, I can't just lie-in straight through like you can, I have to jab my first BI dose as close to 7am as I can... then I can sleep again. ^_^

I do wonder about the timing window too... I mean, heck, I also keep in mind about the 18 hour working time and overlap period I get with my split dose Levemir! So many things to factor in!

Yup, yup, can't generalise with your condition! Your diabetic needs are unique to you so you need to work it out for success! ;)
Best wishes!