Hypos

7 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Hypos

I'm currently having lots of hypos ie on waking, during the day/evening, during the night.

Things I've changed and when:
1 - BI dose decreased/Tuesday 20/11/2012 - on advice from my DSN
2. - Evening meal ratio changed from 1:10 to 1.5:10/Tuesday 20/11/2012 - ditto.

Would it be too many changes if I also started to take my Humalog right after eating a meal?
I normally take it 15 mins before to let it start working then just on the very odd occasion have taken it after.

Read this in the leaflet
"Humalog is a rapid-acting insulin. Take Humalog within fifteen minutes before eating or right after eating a meal".

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Has your change in Lantus been confirmed as correct and working, ie....overnight tests and carb free meals during the day.....

If your Lantus dose is still in question then you shouldn't be changing your QA dose....

That's how I would look at it anyway....

DAFNE teaches to change only one thing at a time in order to keep as little variable in the equation as possible, and that your background dose should be spot on before any meaningful changes are made to QA doses......

So you have decreased your Lantus to stop the hypos coming, yet you have increased your pre dinner insulin ratio.......

One may be cancelling out the other......

Ask your DSN how you you are supposed to determine what each of these changes has done to your blood sugar if the changes happen at the same time......

I think the timing of your injection is OK in terms of changing, its only with dose changes that only one should be done at a time, according to DAFNE..

What are your reasons for wanting to inject after the meal? Have you been getting hypos in between meals?

"Has your change in Lantus been confirmed as correct and working, ie....overnight tests and carb free meals during the day....."

No

"If your Lantus dose is still in question then you shouldn't be changing your QA dose....

That's how I would look at it anyway....

DAFNE teaches to change only one thing at a time in order to keep as little variable in the equation as possible, and that your background dose should be spot on before any meaningful changes are made to QA doses......

So you have decreased your Lantus to stop the hypos coming, yet you have increased your pre dinner insulin ratio.......

One may be cancelling out the other......"

This is exactly what I thought ie one thing at a time.

I know it's my lantus/BI at fault, I'm having to much of it. But now I don't know where the ++++ I'm upto also do I keep on with the decreasing of the lantus/BI and maybe alter the teatime/dinnr dose back to 1:10 instead of 1.5:10?? very Confused !

"I think the timing of your injection is OK in terms of changing, its only with dose changes that only one should be done at a time, according to DAFNE..

What are your reasons for wanting to inject after the meal? Have you been getting hypos in between meals?!

Thanks for confirming re the timing of injections/dose changes.

The reasons for wanting to inject after the meal is because I thought maybe it might slow things down a bit and help to prevent hypos but then again maybe not. I've not been getting hypos in between meals. Please don't give me any more hypos to contend with lol Laughing

Hi novorapidboi26,
I've just posted some replies on my other "HYPOS" topic in the General Discussion section Smile

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

If your getting hypos before your next meal that suggests the dose is too much for that meal......

If you had a hypo quite quick after the meal/injection then the dose timing could be a consideration, ie you may need to reduce the time between injecting and eating....