FASTING TARGET

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

paulj DAFNE Graduate
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
36 posts

what is a FASTING TARGET and what is the difference between this and a BEFORE MEAL TARGET

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Well, all targets are specific to each individual, but ultimately we want to be between 4-7 at the before meal occasions and the fasting time........

Fasting target is the range of blood sugar your at when you wake up, most people find they are higher at this time, due to an increased increased insulin resistance [glucagon] and glucose secretion from the liver. These two processes are happening because of the fact you have been fasting and there is no fuel on board......

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

A quick reminder of the info that you'll find in both the Course Workbook and your DAFNE diaries:

FASTING (i.e. before breakfast / when you first get up in the morning): 5.5 - 7.5 mmol/l
Before midday / evening meal: 4.5 - 7.5 mmol/l
Before bed: 6.5 - 8.0 mmol/l

We stress that you SHOULD NOT accept BG readings below 4.5mmol/l at any time of the day or night as these are below target and if hitting 4's a lot of the time you may put your hypo awareness in jeopardy.

Carolin

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Did the the hypo level not get lowered to 3.5, I haven't been told this officially, but I did hear it......

Is this true?

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

You should still treat any BG <3.5mmol/l as a hypo, using 1.5 - 2 CPs rapid ating carbs.

If you're below 4.5mmol/l, but not hypo you should definitely have a CP to get back into target.

In the current programme, we specify:
<3.5mmol/l TREAT with hypo treatment
<4.5mmol/l EAT a CP