corrections after a hypo

6 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Gemsa DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
20 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

So DAFNE rule is you don't make a correction dose the meal after a hypo even if your bloods are ridiculous.

What if you aren't sure whether it was a night time hypo or not? I've woken up at 22 and feel rough as so really want to correct, but I had a nightime hypo the previous night and although I tested at 2am last night and was fine, the only reason I can see is I must have had a hypo? Therefore shouldn't really correct?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

You should correct that 22, its far too high..............

Did you treat the hypo with 15-20g quick acting carbs? If so its likely the 22 was brought on with a combination of dawn phenomenon and liver response from the hypo...

what time was the hypo at......?

If I had a hypo say an hour before the next meal then I wouldn't correct, but if more time than that then the hypo resolve has done its job and I would be happy to correct, but to be honest, provided I treat the hypo properly, I am never way above target at the next meal anyway......

The main thing is that if your 22mmol/l, you have to correct as that will be doing damage.......

Gemsa DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
20 posts

Well I don't know whether I had a hypo or not. I certainly didn't take any CPs but I don't know what my liver kicked out!

Night before; went to bed at 7.8mmol, woke at 2am to do test and was 3.2mmol, had to correct with +2 rapid CP (+1 didn't have an affect within the 10mins wait which currently seems to be quite common for me) and then had 1.5 normal CP. Woke up for breakfast at 12.7 and obviously didn't correct because of previous hypo. Rest of the day wasn't too bad so glad I followed 'post hypo no correct' rule.

Last night; went to bed at 14.4, woke at 2am to do test and was 12.6 so no CPs needed. Woke up for breakfast at 22.1. Therefore I suspect I had a hypo at about 3am instead - can't see why else it'd rise?!

But my question was therefore normally I would correct for 22.1.... but if it was potentially after a hypo do I ignore the 'potential' and correct regardless, or do I play safe and assume it was a hypo therefore use the 'no correction' rule?

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Think it more likely that you have an infection coming on. Blood sugars are normally at least one day ahead of your cold, or whatever it is, showing obvious symptoms.
See what happens over today and tommorrow and it may be that you need compensate, if it is infection related insulin resistance, by applying the sick day rules from your handbook.
Life is always sending us curve balls....don't worry you'll sort it soon enough.
Regards
Garry

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

Gemsa, The idea of rebound hyperglycemia (i.e. the 22.1 in the morning being caused by an untreated hypo overnight) has been discredited recently. There is some information here (http://www.dafneonline.co.uk/forums/1/topics/963) and there was a further presentation specifically on this at this topic at the DAFNE Collaborative in June this year. I would suggest that the 22 was in reaction to the food eaten late the night before. I know for me that measuring BG at 22:37 only 20 minutes after eating (and hopefully taking the correct insulin dose) would tell me little about the BG level that I would see 2 or 3 hours later. In my case I was diagnosed 40+ years ago, and now have insulin resistance, and so it takes time for any insulin dosage to start working on food. You probably don't have the same degree of resilience, but I would still suggest that you look more at the carb. counting the night before rather than a "phantom" hypo overnight.

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

If i knew i had had a hypo in the night and i woke up at 22, i would correct, i would not want to run that high, let alone how rotten i would feel. But it begs the question: at what level do you feel comfortable to run at if you go by DAFNE post hypo no correct rule at breakfast, also bearing in mind your BG risrs on waking anyway due to adrenaline.