DAFNE view of Post-meal BG Testing

9 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

merstone DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
3 posts

I noted that a recent issue of Balance magazine included a set of suggested BG targets covering pre-meal and also post-meal test scenarios. However, from my course, the DAFNE concept seemed to be that occasional testing for BG peaks (typically 2 hours after a meal) is completely unnecessary.

So is the DAFNE view of post-meal testing driven by just test strip economy, or is there some recent research to suggest that provided DAFNE pre-meal BG targets are being met, post-meal highs are too short in duration to increase the risk of longer term complications?

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I wouldn't say it is completely unnecessary, however I would also say it is not covered in the course because no research has been conducted to prove its benefits. Its nothing to do with test strip economy more to do with the don't tell you stuff that is not backed up by research, Thats the point of DAFNE it is all backed up by research.
You will find loads of discussions on Diabetes sites regarding post-meal highs and their significance. However my personal view is most of it is not backed up by any real research just opinions. Whilst everyones opinion is valid, at the end of the day thats all it is. I have my own personal views but its not for me to tell you what is right or wrong. If there IS some solid research hopefully someone will respond with some links to it.

merstone DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
3 posts

Thanks marke.
Signs of some research into the value of occasional post-meal testing were, of course, exactly what I was hoping to find from this thread. However, I guess that anything remotely conclusive in this area is unlikely, bearing in mind the longer term complications aspect would tend to make it as lengthy as the proverbial piece of string.

I therefore wonder by who and on what evidence the post-meal BG targets published in last month's Balance magazine were derived?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I regularly do it...............mostly between lunch and dinner, as I am fighting the dawn phenomenon between breakfast and lunch and my BI is running out between dinner and bed....

And all it tells me is whether the timing of my dose, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 minutes has met the profile of my digestion well, if it has and the meal is unique or rarely eaten I can take note and adopt the same timing next time.......

merstone DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
3 posts

Hi novorapidboi26,
I read with interest your fuller description of the above under the Post Readings thread in the General Discussion forum. All I've done in the past is to check that the "spike", as you call it, is preferably under, but not too much over, 10. Apparently no proof of the real benefits of this but somehow it seems right!

Never previously thought of trying to fine tune the spike downwards by adjusting the QA-to-meal delay, although I have noticed that for me the spike tends to be lower when some delay has occurred. In addition to one's personal profile, I suppose we have other variables in the equation such as GI of the meal and the knock-on effect of any earlier exercise.....

Anyway, food for thought, thanks.

vaughanie DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
5 posts

The feeling I got from the course was to avoid testing unless you are convinced you would benefit from knowing the result. The issue as I see it is you know your BG will spike after eating and surely that spike will be dependent on what you are eating.

My control was not good before attending DAFNE and now it is improving. It did take some will-power not to just perform random testing trying to patternise my BGs over a very short period of time. I am just getting used to testing four times a day - but I am so glad I do - but still fighting the temptation to do additional tests too close together.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

A mid meal/mid dose test is the only one that I could justify as I mentioned before.......

Obviously hypos,before driving and when sick days apply are essential.... Wink

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hello,

I had a training session on the Accu-chek Aviva Expert today, and the guy taking the training (while overseen by DAFNE educators) said to test 2 and 4 hours after eating. The general idea is that the 2 hour test should show BGs around about 8.0, and the 4 hour test should show BGs around 6.0. The 'science' behind it is that if you are significantly lower than 8 at the 2 hour mark, then you may be heading for a hypo.

Of course, all of this depends on the GI of the food consumed, what exercise you are doing, whether it's hot or cold weather etc, so it is just a general guideline. Perhaps try for a week while recording results, and if you find you can accurately predict when you are heading too low from the 2 hour reading, then continue, but if not, then don't.

Hope this helps.
Warwick.

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

Interesting that a company who manufacture a BG meter and sell strips to the NHS should contradict DAFNE advice and promote such frequent BG testing........ Rolling Eyes
Oh dear, a cynical DSN? Surely not!!