weight loss - risks

8 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

fwaor DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

I m 4 stone over weight and I d like to lose 3 stone plus.

Any advice?

emdj DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
6 posts

you have to eat less and exercise more, basically.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

WOW, that's a difficult one, i would say I am about 3-4 stone overweight, although you wouldn't guess it........

My belief is that I eat too many calories and dont exercise enough. Any activity I do is too light in terms of heart rate and I do love my grub.....especially at night.......

I am not too worried about my appearance but I am concerned for my health....

Sorry no advice, just thought I would share my story...... Exclamation

silversurfer DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
4 posts

It is very hard I am trying to lose a bit but find I still need carbs 3 times a day or my blood sugars are all over the place so just cut down by half on carbs if you can and just watch your insulin ratio hope you go on ok.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

A while back I was hospitalized for a "protein sparing fast". I was in for a week and basically ate 1 egg (poached), 1/4 tomato for breakfast; a dessert spoon of cottage cheese for morning tea; a 100gm piece of chicken, 1/4 tomato, cucumber slices for lunch another dessertspoon of cottage cheese mid afternoon and steamed fish, 1/4 tomato and broccoli for dinner and more cottage cheese for supper. Insulin was severely reduced and dosage managed by the endocrinologist. A physiotherapist took me for exercise in the afternoons. Seven days of this and I basically lost no weight, I was weighed every morning. Nursing staff were disbelieving and stated that I must have been eating Mars bars but as they had my insulin it would have been difficult especially as they were testing my BGs frequently.
For some it maybe as simple as eat less and exercise more but I firmly believe that it is not that simple for everyone. Recent research on "brown fat" as opposed to "white fat" and the etiology of weight loss may shed some more light on this complex issue. My understanding is that you lose the brown fat (from around your shoulders, neck, upper torso and when that is depleted your body flips to consuming white fat from around your middle. In some however the flip switch is not finely tuned. There is some discussion as to whether this "switch" maybe one of the reasons why some people put on weight to begin with and the role that this function may have in T2 diabetes.
I have to work very hard not to put on weight.
The advice was that I could accept this and be emotionally OK or I could rail against it and be unhappy. I think for some people it is much more than eat less/exercise more. Helen

silversurfer DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
4 posts

That is a very interesting story and proves that sometimes you do everything right and still have problems

landylara DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
14 posts

I have found since being on the DAFNE course i have lost weight [a stone up til now over past 4 months) because of looking at food in a whole new light. Seeing how much insulin i have to take when eating a large plate of carbs i am now eating smaller quantities of the carbs. My HbA1c is 49.0 which is great too as it was 58.0 before i started. Very Happy

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Glad to read it's working out. Smile Keep up the good work to achieve your goal!