Morning hypo

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alex Dewar DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
2 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi,

Yesterday morning I had quite a bad hypo. I don't have the BG at the time, but I required assistance. It happened around 8am. After that my readings were around 6, until the evening which is shown above. Unfortunately the previous days I did not check my BG before bed so I don't know how much it dropped overnight. Last night I lowered my BI from 16 to 14 - I was 14.6 last night and 15.6 this morning, so more or less steady. As you can see, I had also reduced BI the day before, as I was 3.4 in the morning. I am pretty confident that the CPs were accurate on Tues as I measured them all. I took a -1 correction when I had something to eat at bedtime.

So I was wondering do you think it is the BI that caused it, and is there anything else I should adjust?

As a side note, I was on holiday until Thu 31st, and I was at an event on Sat 2nd, so I couldn't measure CPs accurately and hence my levels weren't very good.

margaret kyle DAFNE HCP
3 posts

Alex,
I think it is all related to your BI. Notably on the night you didnt match 4CPS with QA, your BG was only 11.4 on wakening. I expect you have been having frequent low/tight BG and that is why it dropped so low yesterday. You have done the right thing by reducing BI - I know you are still above target today but remember that is normal post hypo - resist correcting today if you can.
I wont go on about the importance of monitoring but you really need to ensure you are doing so especially pre bed...
Im sure your carb counting is fine and I dont think ratios are a problem. Lantus stays in your system for a longer period of time so even though you have reduced it over the past 2 days, you may not see the benefits for another couple of days. Please stay in touch if any firther issues. Are you away yet?

Alex Dewar DAFNE Graduate
2 posts

Yes I will keep a this amount for the next few days, and I will make sure to check before bed. I'm leaving tomorrow morning. I will have a regular schedule which should make things a bit easier, although the food might be a bit of a challenge to calculate.