Odd readings

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

SteveRowland DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
10 posts

I'd be grateful for any thoughts:

I am on levemir and novarapid. I did DAFNE in May and have been diligently applying all I learned.

This afternoon, I went for a run.

My BG was a creditable 5.2 pre-run. I decided to eat a 2 CP hobnob Medley bar and defer the run for thirty minutes.

I then did a non-taxing 20 MIN run. My 6-year old son accompanied me on his bike and this acts as a brake!

Before supper I was horrified to have BG of 19.6!

Help! What is going on!?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Steve.

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Steve,

It's counter intuitive to what I got told and probably most diabetics in the past, but you need some insulin (horrid balancing act though as too much and hypo) in the system before exercise, if there isn't any the body can't get the energy it needs from the sugar in the blood and the liver panics and kicks some more sugar out (helpful).

Not sure if this helps explain the high?

Phil

SteveRowland DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
10 posts

Phil

Many thanks for this. It sounds spot on. I'd ran later than usual and more than 5 hours after my lunchtime insulin. I think I'm going to have to make my runs earlier and closer to lunch so that I still have some QA on board.

I'm very grateful for your help.

Kind regards

Steve

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Steve,

Glad to help. Very Happy

Phil

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I also must have food and insulin before activity for the exact reasons Phil mentioned.........obviously the muscles have their own stores, but the blood stream sugar is also needed.......