Glandular fever

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

GXK949 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

Ive recently been diagnosed with glandular fever and im worried about what to do regarding my diabetes. Its already made my sugars increase and i cant seem to get a handle of them. I have tested and only have trace amounts of Ketones but glandular fever usually lasts for months and i dont want to have my sugars all over the place for that long. Im finding they are particularly high in the mornings around 16/17 so i did a couple of 3am tests and they were around 10-13 so increasing dramatically after 3am. I have already increased my BI insulin from 13 of lantus in the morning and 12 of lantus at night to 14 both morning and night but it doesnt seem to be having a huge effect. Should i try increasing my BI more or increasing my quick acting instead? i am still eating fairly normally and drinking plenty of fluids

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Please give it time.
Changes in Lantus dose - for most people....me included....seems to take some 3 days to have any impact.
Go steady and once you are satisfied you have a set pattern you can then make further appropriate adjustments.
I wish you well.
Regards
Garry

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

As Garry says, Lantus takes a few days to settle, but yeah, just keep upping the dose until you see normal numbers...........but then expect to reduce again as things return to normal..............

Lantus is not very flexible unfortunately, mon the Levemir........ Wink