Verucca - treatment

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

I have a small verucca, & not wanting to trouble the doctor I have bought one of the branded treatment gels available at any pharmacy/supermarket.

Reading the information leaflet it states "do not use the gel if you are diabetic or suffer from poor blood circulation to your hands or feet".

I don't have any problems with the feelings in my feet or circulation.

Should I use it? What would you do? Confused

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I would go to my GP for treatment and emphasise that you are a diabetic and have to take special care of your feet.

Mike87 DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
10 posts

As I've experienced never ask your GP for advice on diabetes, there to generally trained!!! This won't apply to all GP's but anything to do with your feet u should defiantly go to your consultant!! As when I said this to my GP he totally disagreed with me and told me to use the branded gels/ creams, when I contacted my consultant he flipped his lid and gave me a prescribed cream!!

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

Hi there, if you have no foot circulation problems and no nerve damage and this is confirmed by someone competent to examine your feet then I would think that these treatments are safe to use. The danger is if you have a lack of feeling or poor circulation then the cream/gel might cause damage to the skin which you wouldn't feel and it could then become infected. For those without problems then generally they could be confident of using them like people without diabetes. Simon Heller