Day Surgery

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

vashcroft DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

I am going into hospital for an investigation under general anaesthetic at 1230 on Friday 13th November 2009. I have been told not to eat after 7am. What do I do about my insulin. I usually eat 6 cp's and have 12 units lispro and 11 units levemir at breakfast time. I have 23 levemir before bed.

Katy B DAFNE Graduate
North Cheshire Hospital Trust
8 posts

Im not a HCP but I think there at least 3 options for you. If you normally go to bed in range and wake up in range and think you wont go hypo if you skip your breakfast meal then simply take your Levimir as normal but dont eat 6cps and dont take the Lispro. If you think you may go hypo for missing breakfast then you could reduce your evening meal ratio so just on this occasion you could go to sleep higher than normal, and wake up higher than normal and therfore avoid going low in the morning/afternoon while skipping breakfast. Or finally, Have your breakfast with your fast acting insulin before 7am. No matter which option you choose, you should always take your Levimir as normal.

I have just noticed the date on your post and see that my comment for you is now not usefull but I shall post it incase anyone else has the same question now i've written it!!! How did you manage in the end Vashcrof?? I hope it went well for you. Katy x

Karen Westwood DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
38 posts

Hi Vashcrof,

I too had a general anaestetic last week (Wednesday). How did you manage with your BG levels. I wasn't too bad on the day of surgery - it did go up a bit but I think that I can put that down to stress!! I have found that my BG levels over the last week have been a bit higher than normal. Not sure whether this had anything to do with my body recovering from the operation or the fact that I am not able to be as active as I usually am.

Hope everything went well for your op.

Karen x