Rising morning BG'S with/without breakfast.

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Tracey Bond
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
14 posts

I was hoping that a HCP or other could answer my query. I have split doses of Lantus 7.30 (am and pm)but am finding that my BG at the time of my morning Lantus is rising before breakfast which is ususally 2 or 3 hours later. I understood that even if I decided I didn't want breakfast a correct dose of Lantus twice daily would hold my BG steady.

Please help if you can. Thank you.

Tracey Bond

Nick Sproston DAFNE Graduate
Arrowe Park, Upton, Wirral
5 posts

Tracey
I have the same issue and also take lantus am/pm.
I was told that as i do not have breakfast it would be allright for me to take some QA to counter the morning BG rise.
But as you know we are all different so you would have to see if this would be ok for yourself

Tracey Bond
14 posts

Hi, many thanks for replying. I was thinking along the same lines but I was told on my course that if your Lantus is spot on then it should keep you steady. Maybe I'm just looking for problems when the answer is just some QA to counter the rise.

sphillips DAFNE HCP
University Hospitals, Leicester
24 posts

Hi It sounds to me like what you're describing is the dawn rise in BG that happens as your body is waking up and can go on through to mid morning ( eg 4am-11am ish). It's quite common for people to notice a rise this is why we often need a higher ratio in the morning if we have breakfast and why you would have been advised to have morning QA even without breakfast. I've noticed that because the profile of lantus is so flat it can be difficult to manage the dawn rise, even on a split dose. I would suggest you speak to your DAFNE educator about the options and possibly changing your BI. Meantime you could try some cautios corrective doses at breafast maybe a couple of units, make sure you monitor the affects and I wouldn't do this and then drive, perhaps try it on a morning when you're mostly at home or when you could safely manage a hypo.

Tracey Bond
14 posts

Hi, thank you for replying. I have come to think that what you are saying is right. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a perfectist, I don't want 'Dawn' to keep knocking at my door. I just want my Lantus to work effectively and to have the freedom that I thought Dafne could offer without messing around with insulin etc. Once again thank you.