Standard Deviation..

8 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I heard from another forum that there were some blood meters that can provide a standard deviation figure which shows the severity of the swing from low to high of your blood sugars, a larger number meaning there has been large swings and lower being more stable etc...

I personally would be interested obtaining this number to see how stable my control is, seeing as large swings can damage the micro vascular system and that this may be the most significant problem for diabetics...........

How to Calculate Standard Deviation

The above site details how to get this number. Could a formula be devised? Could this be implemented into the Online Diary?

Any thoughts.......?

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Hi,

I like the sound of this, I normally run about 10ish, but when I do try to tighten control I yo-yo quite a bit due to almost being on the verge of a hypo, it would be nice to see the deviation on this yo-yo effect.

Phil

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The link I provided is quite complicated but might still be relevant. I recently found out that Excel offers a formula that works it out for you, so:

=STDEV(B1:B100) will give you the Standard Deviation of the results in cells 1 - 100 of column B.

You would be looking for a deviation one third or less of the mean value of numbers in cells 1 - 100.

Does that make sense?

So it could be done on a daily basis, but also monthly, and i suppose on a 7, 14, 30, 90 day basis, which would be relevant to the scenario I am requesting on the Online Diary her at DAFNE Online..... Very Happy

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Sounds good, will put it on the to do list Smile

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

So its achievable then?

Nice one.... Exclamation

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

So its achievable then?

Nice one.... Exclamation

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Simon said:
Sounds good, will put it on the to do list Smile

I've got several of those, for everything removed 2 get added Very Happy

Phil

Ahmentep DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
99 posts

The Accucheck Aviva Expert gives you standard deviation. I have been using one for a few weeks now and find that once it is correctly programmed it is very good. The bolus advice is almost perfect.