Nuts!

5 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

chrisinbrum DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
41 posts

According to the DAFNE manual nuts are low GI and don't need to be counted, but it seems that whenever I have some plain mixed nuts my BG goes high - last night up to 17! I even checked the packet last night and even if I use the CP value on there I only had about 1CP, which I wouldn't normally take any QA for.

Does anyone else notice plain nuts (not coated or anything) seem to have an unexpected effect on their BG?

I've just been snacking on some this morning at work, not so many, but it'll be interesting to see what my BG is before lunch...

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I could only imagine that a considerable amount of them may slow digestion, which may result in a burst of glucose later on, or even a mild unrecognized low to which the liver responds............

I dont take for nuts, but everyone is different, that's the catch............ Very Happy

joanne78 DAFNE Graduate
Princess Alexandra Hospital, Queensland
8 posts

I am very interested in this topic as on my mixed nuts there is 8.1g carbs per 31g serve. Would I be expected to weigh how many nuts I have to work out how many CP's I'm having? I tend to eat nuts 1 or 2 hours after dinner while snacking in front of the tv so if i have quite a few that could potentially be 1 to 2 cp plus if I have a milo with milk that could be another 1 cp. I am new here and would love some advice on this.

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

You're all correct in that the advice for low GI foods like nuts and pulses etc is NOT to take QA for the CPs as they digest so slowly they have little effect on your BG.

However, if you have a significant quantity (a large glycaemic load) you may find you do get a rise in BG and need QA to cover. Novorapid boy is right in saying everyone is different so you need to monitor and go off your own experience; initially we'd say do not take QA for these low GI foods, but if you find your BG rises after having them try for example injecting for 1/2 the CP value, then monitor, experiment as required.

Good luck

Carolin

Flipper DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
3 posts

Very interesting. I have also had some high BG readings after eating dry roasted peanuts. What would you say is "a significant load" as the CPs in nuts isn't that high compared to the rise in BG.