Looking for some comments on my diary

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

derekh1965 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
90 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi here is my diary for the past 7 days.
I would like to know what your opinion is. To me it looks like the night BI is only lasting 8 hrs as on nights when I have had less than 8 hrs in bed, which is not many, the morning BS is ok and the ones with 9 or more I am high.

I would like to add I am not sleeping all that time, I go to bed and read for over an hour, plus I have sleep apnea which is brutal cos I don't feel anything from my cpap treatment, but that's another story.

Since completing dafne and being encouraged to eat more carbs and the big increase in insulin I have put on 5 pounds!! Not a happy chappy.

All the best

Derek

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would suggest you need more BI in the morning.......eg. Wednesday 4th, nothing to eat all afternoon, so no QA or CPs in the system yet you still went high. You also commented on another time this happened, namely Saturday 7th. To me, that warrants carb free basal testing during the day, and you could probably bump on 2 units straight away and then test......

Thursday at 23:59 you had 1+1 CPs, why did you not take QA for this....? This may explain the high morning on Friday.

I suspect the PM BI dose is pretty much correct, but it wouldn't hurt to get some 3 am tests to make sure with no carbs at all before bed...which it seems you like to have, what nibbles do you have a night........

You can also expect your ratios to dramatically change once you have got the right BI dose, you may be resistant but you should be able to get them down to below 5:1..............your lows throughout the day I believe are down to too much QA, but this because your BI is off, so getting the insulin/carb ratios right is not easy, if possible..........

Also, once you are happy your AM BI is holding you steady, experimentation with the time of your PM BI dose can start, I see you take it quite late, this is helpful in combating the Dawn Phenomenon, but it does mean you can suffer later in the evening as your AM dose starts to die off..........

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

derekh1965 said:
Since completing dafne and being encouraged to eat more carbs and the big increase in insulin I have put on 5 pounds!! Not a happy chappy.

It's because you're hypoing so much that you're probably gaining weight at the moment. Work towards resolving the hypo problem (such as not correcting within 24 hours of a hypo which you've done a few times - let your BI take your BGs down after a hypo because this prevents more hypos) and then things should hopefully start straightening out a lot more.

On that note, I'm glad to see that your results are hitting lower numbers now compared to your last thread. Keep your chin up - things will get better! Smile

derekh1965 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
90 posts

Hi

Thanks for your comments. To rapidboi when I put 0 carbs on my diary doesn't mean I never ate anything, just I never had any carbs.. I would have had onion, pepper and chicken fried in a little olive oil with some spinach leaves and a splash of olive oil. For my bedtime I do eat too much/ like a man possessed lol, but again there are no carbs, I will have a packet of mattesons fridge raiders in a bowl with couple spoons of mayonnaise and sometimes/ most times a bowl of sugar free jelly with cream. Don't know why I eat all that, some psychological thing going on! When on dafne and looking at others diaries nobody had a supper and I thought "am I the only one who has a supper?"

Regarding Thursday, I took extra CP as I read a comment on another forum, probably diabetes uk about someone saying if thy were under 8 at bedtime they would take extra carbs. I put 1 CP but it was 1 glucotab and I have no idea how many carbs are in 1 glucotab. That is why when I have hypo'd and said i took 4 CP s I have left a comment about taking 4 glucotabs.

Off topic, I have just noticed when you type a word that is not recognized as in dafne or CP as you know a red wavy line appears, you can right click and add to dictionary. That is first time I have seen that and been using a PC for over 10 years lol. Small minds are easily amused.

To JWo thanks for your encouraging words, I will get there eventually with the help of rapidboi and everyone else here.

Hopefully someday i can give you help also.

best regards

Derek

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Could you explain your findings.......... Smile