Chicken soup

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Aneirin 15 posts

Hello. I have been having chicken soup for supper for the past couple of days. It says a can is around 2 units, so half a can should be on. However, every morning after I have chicken soup, my blood sugars are 18 (around 6 the night before). Days when I don't have chicken soup (sandwiches instead) my blood sugars are fine. Anyone else noticed problems with chicken soup? (Heinz canned chicken soup)

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

That is a strange one, have you got results on paper that actually confirm the soup being eaten and the following days results high.........

The amount of carbs in the soup is not that much so I cant understand how the carbs alone could be responsible............

What are your results like when you dont have anything or something other than soup or a sandwich and what time are you having these......?

Your ratio at this time might be out and the sandwich and its filling may be slowing the digestion/glucose release giving you a top up later on.........as opposed to the soup which is in an out fairly quickly, you may drop overnight and then bounce back in the morning with excess liver action.................

Aneirin 15 posts

I have tried popping up my ratio, but if I do I wind up having a hypo before I go to sleep (ratio is 1:1 at the mo, tried going to 1:5, and went hypo in a couple of hours)

But yeah, chicken soup seemed to mess me up. Maybe it's the make of soup (Heinz cream of chicken soup)? I usually wind up fine without it. Results are on paper (not on hand at the moment) as 18. Usually eaten 3 hours before I go to bed (9 p.m.) with two fish finger sandwiches (10 units CP's without the soup included)