Polyol and Maltitol

9 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

derekh1965 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
90 posts

Hi

Was wondering if anyone knew when carb counting do you include the polyols and maltitol?

Reason I ask is I bought protein bars which have 37g carbs of which 10g is polyols and I have a sweetener/syrup which is maltitol.

Thanks in advance

best regards

Derek

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

As far as I'm aware Polyols aren't absorbed by your body at all (hence why excessive consumption may have an adverse effect), so I wouldn't count them.

Simon

NHS Lothian
90 posts

Thanks Simon

Derek

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

If it was me, reading the carbs from the packaging would be good enough for me, otherwise there information is incorrect..........

If there 10 grams of carb present isn't absorbed, what happens to it, once digested all carbs are pretty much the same, no?

I assume these items fall under the artificial sweetener category, in which case do they not have to be in considerable quantities to even make a dent in terms of carbohydrate load.........

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

I don't think polyols even get digested, they literally go straight through your system...

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Would there be a carbohydrate value next to these then, I wouldn't think so..........

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Seems like its a bit of a gray area - they are only partially digested (not sure on percentages) if it's Glycerol then according to this Maximuscle article then they don't affect your blood sugars.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

So it seems with products like protein bars and similar that there might actually be carbohydrate stated but that they dont actually effect BGs, and even for non diabetics, effect their calorie intake, for those watching their carb intake........

Definitely a point worth mentioning for any diabetics who use these products and even worth investigating and adding to the the DAFNE curriculum....

NHS Lothian
90 posts

Hi

Sorry for not replying sooner.

I think the polyols and maltitol are the same as sugar alcohols and you don't count the carb content. That's what the dietitian told me anyway.

The protein bar I had has 37g of carbs in the whole bar and 10gt of those carbs were polyols, therefore the bar would have 3CPs.