Low carbing / fasting?

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
27 posts

Hi all, is anyone following the low-carb routine and/or fasting at the same time? I would be interested in hearing from you if you are trying either or both, what things have you learnt? I've learnt that whilst I previously enjoyed eggs with toast for breakfast, I'm waiting to have my breakfast later. This is particularly good in this hot weather but having something more low carb like natural yoghurt and a bit of fruit.

Keep me posted, thanks, Sally

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

From time to time I find my self missing meals due to work commitments, which naturally perform a basal test, whichi is nice......

I dont follow a low carb diet though continously......some people find that following a low carb diet can make you more sensitive to protein and may need to account for this when calculating bolus....

Are you low carbing?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

When I went back to a higher carb diet after being on a low carb diet for a few weeks, I found that I needed far more insulin than I had previously needed for the carbs. My insulin to carb ratios was about double what they had previously been. It took about three days before they returned to normal.

When I intermittently fast, I need less basal, I guess because there is less glycogen in the liver being discharged into the bloodstream.

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
27 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
From time to time I find my self missing meals due to work commitments, which naturally perform a basal test, whichi is nice......

I dont follow a low carb diet though continously......some people find that following a low carb diet can make you more sensitive to protein and may need to account for this when calculating bolus....

Are you low carbing?

Hi, I think like you I am missing meals, but not intentionally. It sounds like you are missing your meals due to work stuff, I am missing mine as its just too darned hot to eat which actually works well. When I do eat though, I do try to keep it as low carb as possible. I have found though that I need a good dose of carbs (30-40g) so I can sleep hypo free throughout the night. Seems to work ok at the mo. I like the low carb approach generally, less carbs, less insulin. However like you say you have to be careful of the protein content. Just when I thought I had it sussed, nearly !!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Sally Mac said:
Are you low carbing?

No, but I acknowedge that a low carb diet works wonders but I just love the carbs......fortunately DAFNE helps with that but its never perfect....

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
27 posts

Out of interest, do you have a sweet tooth? I do not thankfully, but Ive discovered something recently that just hits the spot. I know that advertising on this forum isnt strictly allowed, but take a look at bulk.com. They create a number of protein foods for athletes of which I am not, but they have some great sounding and tasting snack bars that are high in protein but low in carbs. Recommend them.