Vegetables

5 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

EMS
St Columcille's, Dublin
15 posts

Hi there,
just wondering why there are no vegetables in the carb counter list, as far as i know, peas and carrots for example have plenty of carbs.
Thanks
Elli

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
24 posts

My understanding is that DAFNE does not count Veggies because they are absorbed differently than startchy foods...
Q for the HCPs I thinks

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Exactly right.......they are absorbed too slowly for any quick acting insulin to deal with....

Background should deal with it.....

On some occasions if I have had baked beans or sweetcorn I have taken one unit....

EMS
St Columcille's, Dublin
15 posts

ok, thanks. I didn't realize that. Still a lot to learn!

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

If you want more information on this you should google 'glycemic index' which is an indication of the rate carbs are converted to sugar. It is not covered on the DAFNE Course,
when I checked why ( people had been asking) it was because it was felt it was too much information to take on board when you are being bombarded with ratios and rules etc.
The feeling is that those interested will look into it themselves. If you disagree with this approach I would recommend posting in the DUAG forum, since they are the interface between graduates and the DAFNE Programme management.