Picnics (grr)

6 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
24 posts

Blimey, my lovely boyfriend made me a lovely picnic and had 2 1/2 sandwiches and crisps and calculated to 9.5CP then 15CP (+2 Correction as was at 14.9mmol) but after that and a late meal was 16.1 before dinner...

I am sure I calculated correctly... 5 slices bread (med) 7 1/2 CP and the crisps on a 1:1/2 ratio

Any tips for next time?

Thanks

Nat DAFNE Graduate
30 posts

What a great boyfriend doing that for you. I think you were right with your CP counting but I would have given +3 units as +2 would only drop you by about 6 and you really needed to be down to about 5.5 ideally. Perhaps try correcting slightly more.

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Hi Jo, from reading other threads on the forums (and my own experiences) it seems that if your BG is above 10mmol/l then the normal DAFNE Rules of 1 unit of QA to drop it down by 2-3 mmol/l doesn't apply - you need a bit more insulin. I'd say try giving 1 extra unit, and add as necessary and see how you go.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Thats an interesting twist on corrections norman, one that I might try tonight if I am high...........

I usually work out my correction, according to the 1 unit - 3mmol/l rule then add 1 unit on to that if I am 13 or above.

Jo, I think your CARB math is good, just the correction when ure running that bit higher........give it a try

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
24 posts

Thanks Norman.. will try that with the correction doses.

Thanks NovorapidBoi... got to grips with the maths bit quite quickly... just the other bits to tweak.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Norman, you need to remember the DAFNE rules are guidelines NOT rules of iron. As you say yourself everyone is different and so if they did try to change the handbook what would be the correct correction ;-). I think everyone has to learn their own requirement and apply that. In addition we all sometimes get strange results so its a requirement that has to be 'refined' over time so you can discount those days when things just don't make sense.