Maths Test

8 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

My wife bought some Walkers Mince Pies for Christmas. When they were served up, I consulted the Nutrition Information on the box. It only showed values per 100g and the carbs were 60.9g per 100g. It didn't show values per pie. The net weight of the box was 372g (I assume this means just the pies - not all the packaging) and there were 6 pies in the box.

I'm not very good at maths, so I struggled to calculate the CPs per pie - I came up with 4 CPs - was I close?

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Hi Alan,

If the box is 372g for 6 pies then each pie is 62g (372 divided by 6)
62g can also be expressed at 0.62 of 100g
So multiply your 60.9g of carbs per 100g by 0.62 to get 37.758g of carbs per 62g pie
If you round that up it is 4 CPs

So... You were right, enjoy the mince pie Very Happy

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

Thanks Simon - I'll have to remember how to do that. I suppose the real point is that I shouldn't have to - why couldn't Walkers have put the 'per pie' values on the box?

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

Alan,

It's frustrating isn't it? The typical answer is lack of space on the packaging and the rules state that per 100g values must be displayed to allow comparison with other products. However, that ignores the fact that if the contents are different sizes (e.g. 4 pies in one packet against 6 in another) then a comparison per 100g is meaningless. If anyone has suggestions on how to get this approach changed I'd be glad to hear them.

Brumfoodie DAFNE Graduate
Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
10 posts

At least we have the 100g values listed. USA imports have portion size values -then say how many portions are in the pack. I'm good at maths but even I find that impossible. I was reduced to weighing out jellybeans to reach 19g weight as that would contain 20g carbs when a 40g serving contained 38g carbohydrate. (16 beans if you're interested ).Not something to attempt during a hypo.......and really slow to eat.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Use the smartphone app 'MyFitness Pal', a quick scan of the barcode or a manual search and you will find someone has likely done all the legwork for you.......

also handy if you were to add additional items to your meal, the website at least shows the total carb amount for each item combined......yay...

Brumfoodie DAFNE Graduate
Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
10 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
Use the smartphone app 'MyFitness Pal', a quick scan of the barcode or a manual search and you will find someone has likely done all the legwork for you.......

also handy if you were to add additional items to your meal, the website at least shows the total carb amount for each item combined......yay...

I use Fat Secret for most foods -and it doesn't need the intrusive sign up that"My Fitness Pal " seems to need .Very simple to change serving size : grams, cups ounces....

moonbeam01 DAFNE Graduate
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
1 post

Can anyone give me the calculation (in easy terms) of working out the carbs in any food by weighing them, I did have this calculation when I did the DAPHNE course but I have misplaced it. Many thanks Janice Cotgrove Laughing