Am i counting carbs right

6 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

steve o DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Barking and Dagenham)
5 posts

I just need confirmation that i am counting carbs correctly because it seems i am taking a lot of insulin for what i am eating. For example at dinner i had 2 steak and kidney pies i.e. birds eye individual ones and some roast potatoes and a yoghurt after for that i took 14 units of humalog insulin as i am on a ratio of 1 : 1 it just seems a lot of insulin to take i am taking one unit of insulin for every 10 grams of carbohydrate i am looking at the food packets for the carb content so feel i must be doing things right.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Steve, unfortunately no one can tell you the answer to this question since it depends on you. If when you next test your BG its in the correct
range then you have got it right, if its not you got it wrong. There is no golden answer, yes you are following the right basic principle of carb counting but everyone is different and the combination of foods can affect the rate at which you absorb the carbs in food. To be honest I wouldn't see 14 as a large amount of insulin but then my insulin requirements would not be the same as yours.
For me the most important bit of carb counting is making a note of what I eat and what I inject. I use this as the basis for future carb estimating, i.e I learn from my mistakes and yes I DO make mistakes, I'm sure we all do.

Barney DAFNE Graduate
Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon
1 post

Hey I just graduated and during the course took 22 units for a meal I would have guessed less than 10, just stick to rules and test if unsure, know Im new but seems to work, Kev

JAAN DAFNE Graduate
Heart of Birmingham PCT
3 posts

Hi Steve, Like Marke i have recently graduated, in fact last day of course was yesterday! I m on a 1:1 ratio and during the course i ate meal over 20 cps which in fact is not really a large amount for a three course meal. do record what you eat, as long as you count your cps correctly and inject accordingly you will be fine. Don't worry and best of luck!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I have found myself having a big plate of pasta, like a good size, some garlic bread and I have been well over twenty units.

And with my ratio of 1.5:1, you do the maths......

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Pasta is almost all carbs, so that could be right, When I have a standard plate of pasta I'm taking over 10 easy on 1:1.
I would have never done this before DAFNE, but its working great now!!... I also never used to take any units for milk in the past, but after DAFNE always 1 unit per 200ml of milk, (Which I have with almost every meal)

After a large meal (Whatever it is generally)... I take between 10-20 units depending what I eat. All my ratios are currently 1:1, so 1.5:1 could take you over 20 with a large meal.
Garlic bread is very carb intensive (Bread) so that could be right.

Best thing is to take the insulin, see how you feel after 2 hours or so, if you feel "low" or like your having a Hypo, then you probably took to much, Write it down in your diary and keep it in mind next time you eat, Its all about trial and error! Were all different!