Reheated pasta has less carbs!

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

wigworld DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
19 posts

Reheated pasta has less carbs than fresh pasta? Interesting (but makes carb counting even more fiddly)!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29629761

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

I hadn't seen this - thanks wigworld.

I don't think it's saying less carbs, rather that the cooking /cooling / re-heating process has a significant impact on how the body deals with it. Is this effectively turning it from high to low GI (or the other way round - I can never get my head round all that)?!

For me, it raises the possibility of understanding the inconsistent BG results I get when eating pasta, but it also raises questions. Is there a difference between dried and fresh pasta? What about tinned or frozen ready-meals with pasta in them - do you treat them as cooled and re-heated?

Stew

wigworld DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
19 posts

I read it as saying you still get the same carbs, they're just released more slowly, so it would be like eating wholemeal pasta rather than regular pasta. I guess it would give you an after-meal curve, rather than an after-meal spike. I think you'd still need the same QA insulin, but you might not need the 'after-dinner nap' from having such a spike in blood glucose.