Grapes/fruit generally

5 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

madcow6 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
1 post

It's recently been pointed out to me that some fruits release/create more sugars as they ripen. Could this change the sugar content with any great significance? I specifically mention grapes because I tend to eat quite a lot in one serving (200g +) so with this quantity I'm wondering if it'd make a difference.
Thanks!

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

Grapes, otherwise known as sugar bombs. Have a passion for grapes and will always get a high B/S read later in the day if I go mad.
Most fruit contains Fructose (another form of glucose) and will have an effect on readings. As fruit ripens it naturally contains more to produce the sweetness. Having said that I don't think you need to worry overmuch. Most dietary carb calculations are based on food which are fit to eat and therefore ripe.
Black are best and sweeter.

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
34 posts

Hi,

Grapes are high in sugar but low in carbs and I try to avoid eating them but when I do I inject QA accordingly. I think it is a good idea to refer to DAFNE carbs counting booklet and check the grapes to see how much QA you need.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

high in sugar in low in carbs........that sounds strange saying that, as they are the same, NO?

I think the glucose from grapes can hit the bloodstream faster when more ripe maybe....... Very Happy

wigworld DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
19 posts

I love ripe bananas (that most people would say have gone off!) and I certainly find they raise my BG more than am 'ordinary banana'.