Home Made Meals

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Luggerz 10 posts

How do you manage your carb counting when you have peole make things like shepherd's pie or a fry up. I've only been carb counting and amending my dose for about 2 weeks and I've gone to my parents and one night had a fry up and the other time had shepherd's pie. The problem was the try up all the potato etc was cut up and mixed up with the other vegetables so was hard to count. Yesterday it was shepherd's pie and I could not find a figure for it anywhere help!

Marc

charlotte77 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
11 posts

Hi Marc

I can highly recommend the Food and Diet Counter (little yellow book, published by Hamlyn and written by Dr Wynnie Chan) which was recommended to my DAFNE group. It covers pretty much everything. The ISBN number is 0600607097. There are one or two typos (which may be corrected in more up to date versions) I remember our dietitian advising us that porridge was incorrect!

Charlotte

mcmillan DAFNE Graduate
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
8 posts

We're involved in a lot of home cooking both here and in France. The only "best" solution I have found is to work through a given recipe either doing it myself or watching others, and weighing, measuring or otherwise estimating all the CPs that go into each, then working out how many CPs per tablespoon of the result I serve on to my plate. Then I keep a careful little note in my CP booklet and use that. It seems to work quite well.