Cocoa

7 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I think I remember something on the radio this morning about Cocoa (is that the same as drinking chocolate?) helping older people's memories. I can find no mention of either in my copy of 'Carbs and Cals' nor in the DAFNE CP booklet.

Can anybody throw any light on this, please?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I think drinking chocolate has a few other ingredients thrown in but for the most part, yeah, I think it is the same.....

In what context will you be consuming the coca.....?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/hot-chocolate-keeps-brain-healthy/story-fneuz92c-1226693223284

Do you want the carb content of cocoa and hot chocolate? You would find them on the nutrition panel of the packet they come in. I won't give you the values I have as it likely differs here in Australia to what you have in the UK.

If you are buying a hot chocolate from a coffee shop, then it becomes guess work, especially if they add marshmellows.

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I was thinking of having one or two cups of hot chocolate every day at home.
I don't have any cocoa or hot chocolate to refer to the nutrition panel. I'll have to look at it on the supermarket shelf.
Do you think hot chocolate and cocoa are one same thing?

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

I might be very wrong with this [I don't have any in the cupboard either, so can't check!]............but I thought drinking chocolate had sugar/sweetener added into the chocolate powder. Whereas cocoa is in its natural state.

I certainly find drinking chocolate very sweet, and tend to avoid it at all costs. But no doubt its sweetness is the reason for its popularity Sad

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hey, here in Australia cocoa is definitely not drinking chocolate. Cocoa is quite bitter and when made into a drink really does need sugar to make it drinkable. On the other hand drinking chocolate has a heap of other ingredients and is fine without sugar. For my cocoa I eat (in small quantities) 85% cocoa chocolate....it is an acquired taste.
Cocoa has 1.9g CHO in one TABLESPOON of cocoa powder. According to my Carb book drinking chocolate has 2g CHO per TEASPOON and i have three teaspoons to a tablespoon. So drinking chocolate has 3 x the amount of carbs.

Helen

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

I'd be OK if I remembered to drink my Cocoa.
Regards
Garry