carbs

9 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

cargeo111 ca... DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

I have being running high lately so decided to weigh everything , bread is higher than the packet tells you also weetabix , how does everyone else judge these foods ?

JamesW DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
24 posts

What do you mean by "....bread is higher than the packet tells you....."? Do you mean a portion or slice as stated on the packet is not the same weight?

I usually look at the 100g column and then calculate the carbohydrate from that, once I know what quantity of bread/pasta/whatever I am dealing with.

NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

On Warburtons orange wrapper it says 20.8 carbs per slice but when you weigh it the carbs are more !!!

JamesW said:
What do you mean by "....bread is higher than the packet tells you....."? Do you mean a portion or slice as stated on the packet is not the same weight?

I usually look at the 100g column and then calculate the carbohydrate from that, once I know what quantity of bread/pasta/whatever I am dealing with.

NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

It tells you per slice is 20.8 carbs across from the carbohydrate then at per average slice 47.4 ...how much insulin for one slice ?

JamesW DAFNE Graduate
24 posts

To tackle the insulin element first.....that is entirely up to you! If you are on a 1:1 regime I would think that a slice of bread that is considered to contain 20.8g of carbohydrate would necessitate 2u of insulin.

To expand on my earlier statement, by using the 100g column (assuming one exists) I can calculate how much carbohydrate is present based on the weight of the slice of bread (in this case) irrespective of what the per slice column says.

For example, if per 100g of bread it is 70g of carbohydrate then if I was to eat 100g of bread I would be consuming 70g of carbohydrate. For ease, if a slice weighs 50g then it would be 35g of carbohydrate per slice.

To get a bit more complex, taking your 47.4g slice but assuming the same 70g carbohydrate per 100g value it would be a case of dividing the indicated carbohydrate value (70) by the total indicated weight (100) which would result in the carbohydrate value per gram 70/100 = 0.7.

Taking that per gram value (0.7) we can multiple that against your weighed slice value (47.4): 0.7 x 47.4 = 33.18. This equates to 33.18g of carbohydrate for that specific slice of bread.

If a 100g column doesn't exist and you only have a per slice (with a stated weight) column you can do the same sort of thing. In this case it is 20.8g of carbohydrate divided by 47.4g of total weight which gives 0.44 (rounded up). This means that there is 0.44g of carbohydrate per gram of bread and if there was a 100g column it would say that there was 44g of carbohydrate per 100g of product.

Does that help or does it just confuse matters? I know what I am trying to convey but perhaps I am not being very clear in my examples.

NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

Hi James i am now more confused i thought it was 1unit per gramme so if the bread weighs 45g would this not mean 4 units per slice ?

JamesW DAFNE Graduate
24 posts

You appear to be getting a few things muddled at the moment.

One carbohydrate portion (CP) is deemed to be 10g of carbohydrate so something that contains 30g of carbohydrate would be the same as 3 CPs.

Initially a 1:1 ratio is a good idea so that is 1 unit of insulin for every 1 CP. So for a 3 CP item you would take 3 units. This ratio will alter as you get a better feel for what you personally require at a particular time of day or activity.

When you weigh a slice of bread you are not just getting the carbohydrate part but all of it e.g. fat, protein, water, sundry other bits and bobs as well as the carbohydrate. Bread is not just made up of carbohydrate so to weigh a slice of bread and get a value of 45g does not mean that it is 45g worth of carbohydrate. It is more likely to be 20g of carbohydrate which is backed up by your statement that a 47.4g slice of bread contains 20.8g of carbohydrate according to the nutritional information label. Sugar is entirely carbohydrate so 45g of that would equate to 45g of carbohydrate because that is what it is (minute elements of water and minerals aside).

NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

Thanks i understand now Very Happy

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I didn't know what was happening in this thread till the last few posts...........lol.....

DAFNE encourages the use of CPs, I suppose to make the arithmetic seem easier, but you can deal solely in grams of carbs if you want.....

1 unit for 10g, initially........... Wink