colonscopys

6 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

I'm having a colonscopys next week. Just having a test run on the no QA from 1pm lunch to 6am the next day.
Seems OK so far with my BG been constant.
I've asked my Dafne nurse what's the reason you can't take QA, which she's looking into.
Has anyone else being through this procedure who has gained experience and knowledge which I could use to make this experience run smoothly
Thanks in advance
Brian
Type1 42 yrs

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hi Brian... I have had one and the thinking about it i found worse than the actual event. If you are not eating would you normally take QA? I can not remember the insulin being an issue but I did find it difficult to get the goop down. I do not take QA if I am not eating. I think in these situations you manage it as best you can (and you have a lot of experience) and ask for help if you need it. The anaesthetist can check your BGs. Good luck. Helen

youone DAFNE Graduate
102 posts

Hi HelenP
Thanks for your comments.
I've been on a. Test run today I've had no Cp or QA since 10.30am that's a good 12 hours, my BG has been constant .
The worry is a part,
I couldn't find any reason that you can't take QA, but again if your a Dafne graduate and your BI is set at the correct level going without shouldn't be an issue.
Brian
Type1 42 yrs

youone DAFNE Graduate
102 posts

Hi everyone
the procedure went very smoothly, I got the all clear :-)
I went from Friday 1pm to Saturday 4pm without any QA or any CPs 27hrs,
the longest I've ever gone, without Dafne I wouldn't have been able to go this long
only used 1 carton of orange on the day to push up my BG from 6.8 to 10mmols.
turns out the nurse was a type 1 and was very keen to learn about Dafne since she hadn't been on the course yet.
thanks for your comments HelenP
Regards
Brian
type 1 42 yrs

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Great news. Helen

youone DAFNE Graduate
102 posts

HelenP said:
Great news. Helen

thanks again Helen
just a quick note on what I did to prepare for the long CP free period, the longest I've ever been.
Read up on BI what to take.
I think we all find getting the BI just right is very hard even me with the period of years I've been a type 1.
I decided to do a test run
I take 33 units of BI lantus once a day
Test was no CP or QA after 1pm on day 1 Monday until 3pm Tuesday day 2
total 26hours.
my BG was constant between 9.2 10.6 on day 1
I started with a higher BG to avoid Hypos .
5am on Day 2 my BG was 4.2 a drop of 6.4
I stopped here and corrected ( a difference of 6.4 is to great to continue without looking at my BI amount)
The way I check was this
My BMI weight had always been around 12 stone, I knew weight affects the amount of BI you need so I checked this,
Since I started going for a run it had dropped to 11st 6lbs or 73,6 kgs
using the calculation that you need a total of 0.5 - 0.8 units of insulin per kilogram of body weight with half for food intake and half is the basal rate.
I did some quick sums and found that I should be taking 29.46 units of BI.
I reduced the units taken on the Day of the procedure from 33 to 30 and had no issues, in fact I had a BG of 6.8 1hour before I went in, so decided to take 150ml of fresh orange to increase it by 1 CP 3 units of BG.
The hospital had asked that I was above 7mmol
when the nurse tested me I was 10,3.
Dafne really helped on this occasion giving me less stress.
hope this helps others.
The loss of some weight was the factor that gave me the low BG ,another factor we should take into account when our BG's aren't what we expect.

I also checked what if I was my ideal weight which is 9st 8lbs or 62.23 kg which is my target
I would need
24.89 or 25 units of BI which matches Dafne 1unit for 1 hour ( seems I need 0.8 ) the top of the scale

Brian
type 1 42 yrs