Carb Free Foods

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

clare.bm DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Barking and Dagenham)
1 post

Laughing Hi everyone
I've just started on an insulin pump and to test the effectiveness of my basal rates, I have to have a carb-free day tomorrow, from 8am until 6pm. I adore my carbs and am panicking at the though of a whole 10 hours without any!
I've bought some Tyrres Veg Crisps (beetroot, parsnip & carrot) to ease my pain, thinking that they're cooked vegetables so must be ok to have. Does anyone have any idea about this?
Any other suggestions for yummy carb-free foods that seem like the real thing would be greatly appreciated! Laughing

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Firstly, you don't need to go 10 hours straight, no one can be expected to do that..........

look at THIS...!!

I usually go for chicken salads or omelettes..........I would imagine your veg crisps would be OK, but for best results just stick to meat and eggs and cheese.......

It shouldn't be that bad if you just do 4-5 hours carb free slots.....

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Welcome Smile
Veg crisps may have beetroot and parsnip in there...and personally they bump my BGs every time.
You should find the CHO value on the packet to help you decide whether they are suitable to use in your particular situation.
Regards
Garry

Jenny Spollen DAFNE Graduate
Regional Hospital Mullingar
13 posts

Howdy,

As previously mentioned 4-5 hour slots work best for this. I would recommend doing the same period for a few days on the trot so that you can get one portion of the day sorted then move on to the next, bearing in mind the impact one part of the day will have on the following one. Also doing a ten hour stint will bring on an impact that you may not have thought about. Extended periods of fasting/carb fee will induce a lower need for insulin. If you base your basal rates on this they may not be wholly accurate and those 10 never ending hours of carb cravings will be for nothing. Also at ten hours I personally would be checking for ketones whatever bg readings you are getting because your body may start to break down stores for those missing carbs.
Also as mentioned parsnips can def increase your bg.

All said, I hope it work out well for you. I found that this was the hardest part of it all when I started out but it is def worth the effort. Very Happy