New to carb counting

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Hwrighttype1 1 post

I am new to this site and carb counting. I have been type 1 for 20 years. I haven't had much problem with control overall but I was recently hit by a car leaving me unable to move around for the last six months. I find my control has been more difficult and overall sugars higher. Typically gone from 7/8 in morning to now 11/12. Increased short acting and basal insulin from 11 to 14 still not coming down. Is there any courses that I could attend I live in Northern Ireland. I haven't been given much help from diabetic team except just to increase insulin. Can anyone offer advice on carb counting. Eg how much is a good ratio of carbs to eat per day and how much protein. Thanks

NuMo DAFNE Graduate
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
28 posts

Welcome to Dafne forum Hwrighttype1.

As you will know, your BG will rise if you are less active. So while you are recovering and inactive you will need more insulin.

With Dafne, we count carbs in Carbohydrate Portions (CP) which nicely ratio to the insulin thus reducing the amount of guesswork involved. I don't know where the Dafne Centres are in Northern Ireland, perhaps you might find out on the main Dafne website which you can find on our home page here. To get on a Dafne course you have to go through your Doctor or Diabetes team. It is well worth doing. Dafne enables you to be in control again. You learn how to adjust your insulin dose according to what you eat, how to cope when ill, and a whole lot more besides. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Good luck

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

The centres in NI are:

Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast
Lagan Valley Hospital
Lisburn Health Centre
Castlewellan Health Centre
Downe Hospital, Downpatrick
Ulster Hospital, Dundonald
Northern Health and Social Care Trust

If any of these are familiar speak to your doctor and consultant about being referred to a DAFNE course.

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

Hwrighttype1 said:
I am new to this site and carb counting. I have been type 1 for 20 years. I haven't had much problem with control overall but I was recently hit by a car leaving me unable to move around for the last six months. I find my control has been more difficult and overall sugars higher. Typically gone from 7/8 in morning to now 11/12. Increased short acting and basal insulin from 11 to 14 still not coming down. Is there any courses that I could attend I live in Northern Ireland. I haven't been given much help from diabetic team except just to increase insulin. Can anyone offer advice on carb counting. Eg how much is a good ratio of carbs to eat per day and how much protein. Thanks

Hi sorry you had an accident.
The Dafne course is a must for any type1, I hope the information you've been given will speed up the process for you..
I myself go through periods of blindness not more than two weeks the blindness is not diabetes related but does cause me some issues especially where BG testing is involved.
I find that while I'm sitting waiting for the eye to repair itself usually two weeks I'm inactive for most of this period.
My normal ratio of insulin is 1:1 that is for evey 10grams of carbohydrate (1CP) I take 1 unit of QA (humolog) insulin.
When I'm inactive that ratio can increase to 2:1 2 units of QA to 10 grams of carbohydrare.
If you are changing your amounts of insulin remember to test more also the time period for correcting you'll find many references to this on these forums.
I wish you a speedy route to your course
Regards
Brian