Indian food and takeways

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Mike Dagley DAFNE Graduate
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (Wythenshawe)
12 posts

Hi there,
Recent graduate calling...I have had my first Indian takeaway in ages today and have had fun trying to work out the CP content. The Carb booklet was very helpful with samosas and the rice. Seems very accurate.

However, not sure if it is possible to work out what the actual main dish contained by way of CPs? It isn't always just fats and protein. My choice tonight was a so-called Nepalese dish which contained lychees, lamb, ginger and spices in a thick sauce. It tasted very sweet to me and I am not sure if the dish is made sweet by just the bits of fruit or whether they add sugar. I could have asked I suppose - but being a Saturday the place was humming and there was no time to ask.

Possibly a daft question as there are too many variables. Perhaps the more regular consumers of Indians out there might have worked out a rule of thumb for this kind of dish?

Thanks Mike
PS. I won't order it again as it wasn't savoury enough for my palate.

Jennie DAFNE Graduate
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
1 post

I get the impression that takeaways (Indian in particular) are not just full of fat and salt, but also often have loads of added sugar.
Saucey curries that I've not made myself often raise my BG in serious excess of what I'd expect.

Carbtastic DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
8 posts

Me too! I completely gave up eating chinese take aways as every dish just seemed to be full of sugar. The same appears to go for curry, the sauces are always so thick and sweet. It's not even authentic curry! I have found a good one near me which is an exception to this rule and uses very little sugar however, this is rare!