iPhone app carbs list

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Annette Bell DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
68 posts

I was checking my DAFNE carb counting book I was given when I did the course against the app list, and found that some of the changes they gave us (this was back in Jan 200Cool have not been entered in the app list. For example, we were told that the count for Jacket potatoes was wrong - specifically, a large 330g potato is not 10 CP's as it says in the book, but in fact only 7 CP's. This is a big difference and could lead to someone giving themselves 3 units too much (assuming they're on a 1:1 ratio). The numbers for small and medium potatoes are also not in agreement with the changes we were given. There are one or two other discrepancies also. Have they changed their minds again, or does this app need serious updating?
(For some reason I have a cool icon where it should say Jan 2008!)

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would say the something needs updating to be honest, although the carb book is just a guide.

For me personally, a few weeks in and I wasn't using the book, as you get to know how much carbs are in specific food items as well as the size of them.

But never the less, the facility should be corrected for the folk who do rely on the book......

Smile

The icon has appeared because the text version of that icon is represented by an 8 followed by a bracket, the bracket being the smile, and the 8 being the sunglasses...... Wink

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Annette, the current carb book (which is Version 9 and was issued in 2010) was changed from 7 to 10. It was previously 7 in older versions. We can only publish the information we are given and that is the current published value. The app doesn't need serious updating, the source information may do !
There will be yet another update to the course material this year I think so maybe they will change it then. If you would like it updated sooner then raise it at a DUAG meeting so that we can get the DAFNE Programme Team to look into why updates are not being provided if they are being 'provided' to DAFNE Educators to advise Graduates.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, I have now been sent version 10 of the Carb book that apparently came out last year but didn't get sent to us. This increases the carb value of a Jacket Potato to 10.5 from 10, it doesn't decrease it to 7 !! I am told there is a version 11 being worked on for release later in the year, Either way no one has ever told me its actually 7. When you say they gave you 'changes' where these printed and by whom since the course literature is supposed to be fixed and controlled by DAFNE Central which is why we can only publish what they send us. Any changes would have to come from them not from local HCP's making their own changes, thats not how its supposed to work.

Annette Bell DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
68 posts

marke said:
Hi, I have now been sent version 10 of the Carb book that apparently came out last year but didn't get sent to us. This increases the carb value of a Jacket Potato to 10.5 from 10, it doesn't decrease it to 7 !! I am told there is a version 11 being worked on for release later in the year, Either way no one has ever told me its actually 7. When you say they gave you 'changes' where these printed and by whom since the course literature is supposed to be fixed and controlled by DAFNE Central which is why we can only publish what they send us. Any changes would have to come from them not from local HCP's making their own changes, thats not how its supposed to work.

Hi! At our course, (run by Carolin Taylor and I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the dietician!) we were asked to manually change the values in our books for a few of the items, as they had been "changed" since printing, and also to add a couple of extras that weren't included (e.g. parsnips). I'll go with the values given in the app then. Thanks for checking this out for me! Smile