Bread

7 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

So just wondering what bread you all have?

I'll start - I was having Warburtons Toastie white bread (large loaf) (orange wrapper) but have changed to Warburtons Medium white bread (large loaf) (blue wrapper)

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

We tend to get Kingsmill 50/50 most of the time just so we have a set standard for carb counting for me. Don't seem to have problems with the numbers on the packaging for each slice (16.5g of carbs per slice) which is a relief.

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

Warburton's small sliced wholemeal - each slice is 1 cp - nice and easy to calculate QA dose.

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Alan Constable said:
Warburton's small sliced wholemeal - each slice is 1 cp - nice and easy to calculate QA dose.

Warburtons small sliced wholemeal = 9.7g
Warburtons Toastie white bread (large loaf) (orange wrapper) = 20.8g/ech slice = 2 cp
Warburtons Medium white bread (large loaf) (blue wrapper) = 17.7g/ech slice = 1 cp/2cp?
Warburtons Medium white bread (small loaf) = 10.7g/ech slice = 1cp

all sliced by the way

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

Does anyone else have completely different responses to different breads? I normally have wholemeal or granary which work fine for me, but when I allow myself white sliced (bacon and egg sandwich on Sunday mornings) or white crusty rolls things seem to go haywire and I end up with much higher BGs than the carbs would suggest. (I have a similar problem with fresh pasta vs. dried)

Stew

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I've not noticed any difference on the odd occasion when I've eaten wholemeal personally.

Saying that, I've sometimes found things like rolls to be seemingly wrong before - always best to weigh them out and doing the math with the 100g label before preparing to eat them in a lot of cases.

I also never assume any more that one brand's medium slice is the same as another brand's medium slice.... they can vary so much. Sad

Pain in the bum eh!

Edit: Just to add, half a unit of CP or QA difference can mean a lot to me so I'm very fussy with my checking of numbers and doing calculations.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Alan Constable said:

this is what i have now as well, good for the calorie count as well, 105 calories for 2 slice..........

brilliant.......