cps in a pomehranate?

6 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

annmarie bar... DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
4 posts

does anyone know how many cps are in a pomegranate? I've had . no luck trying to find out and do I count it as 1 pomegranate equals so many cps or do I peel it and weigh the seeds inside to get the cp count?

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

My Women's Weekly "fat + carb pocket guide" states that 100g of raw, peeled pomegranate has 14g of carbohydrate. I probably would not worry about the seeds and would weigh the first one to get a rough idea of size and go from there. Helen

annmarie bar... DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
4 posts

thanks very much Helen, I've been trying to find out for the last few days with no luck.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Is the flesh of this fruit actually eaten........?

Adrienne DAFNE Graduate
Waitemata DHB, Auckland
14 posts

I was wondering about this recently and looked it up; I found that 1/2 cup of the seeds is 16g carbs. I don't normally take insulin for other seeds but I think I need it for pomegranate. I thought the seeds were the only part eaten so weighing the whole fruit would be pointless.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2038/2 (I find this website quite useful)

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

I personally love the juice it is rich and has a distinctive flavour and CHOs! In my experience there is very little "flesh" and taking the seeds out to weigh separately would probably be unnecessary. Margin of error and all. I personally cut them in half and turn them over and bang them with a wooden spoon over a salad or icecream to get the seeds and juice out. The juice is a bonus.

There is also the possible difference...I live in Australia and the pomegranates we get maybe "different". I know in Australia I can eat a few strawberries and not count them, they are large, all water and no flavour but when I go to Korea (usually in strawberry season) the same quantity would demand probably 8-10 units of insulin. The strawberries are small and amazingly sweet and flavourful.
Helen