Cinema Popcorn.

6 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

FayeM
Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter
4 posts

I'm confused over popcorn.
The book says sweet popcorn has a high CP value. But some people say not to take any QA as it's a low GI food and to just have a couple of extra BI units.
So what would sweet cinema popcorn come under? It's a massive tub and I would normally eat the lot during the film and take extra QA if I feel high after (before DAFNE i didn't check my blood so have no idea of the specific effect).
So should I have QA? Or extra BI? Or see what my bloods do?
I only completed the course yesterday and my head is already spinning.

mixichic2000 DAFNE Graduate
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (Wythenshawe)
1 post

I always take quick acting , especially with sweet popcorn . .As I'm on the insulin pump now , I usually take half the insulin first for half the box and then if I want to take eat the other half, take more quick acting .Hope this helps

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

I had salted popcorn the last time I was at the pictures, I asked the chap at the till if he would weight the empty carton then the full large one, he did this with no face pulling and was really helpful
the empty carton was 26 grams
the full carton (large was 210 grams)
quick sum the popcorn was 184grams
a quick look on my phone app showed me 20g (savoury) popcorn is 1 CP
I counted the large popcorn to 9 CP's
the 1st time in a long time that I could actually match my QA closely Thanks Dafne
did a test 4 hours later BG hadn't gone up
and the film was good as well Very Happy

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I think with any unknown foods you should just take some insulin and be prepared to go low.......trial and error.......

I think that pop corn can cause a moderate to high increase in blood sugar anyway, according to the GI, so I would personally question the sources you used to determine not to take for it....

I know nuts, some vegetables, baked beans, and other pulses can avoid insulin in small amounts...... Wink

youone DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
102 posts

If you’ve got a smart phone download the app for dafne, it’s got a CP guide on the home page, so if you’re out there’s no need to trial foods, I personally wouldn.t aim to go low, always side on a higher reading and correct later.
Dafne has given you the information many Type 1’s lacked, I know I did, the amount of QA you need to take when matching your CP intake, use this information sensibly and you should enjoy a better life style (freedom).
If you’re driving remember the DVLA limits, Your BG must be 5.8 or higher, always take your meter and make sure the time and date are set correctly.
This is the reason I would always side on a higher reading instead of a low one.
If you wish to trial unknown foods, I would do this at home and get comfortable with your response when you eat the example you’ve quoted (Popcorn), then when you’re out and about your more in control of your BG.
To be honest with the development of the smart phone tablet techno, you will almost 100% of the time have the information you need at your fingertips, weather you have one or don’t someone in your group or party will have a smart phone device, like your own reference library, but of course you can’t always count on this, hence a trial run at home first.
Pass that Pop corn Smile

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

Thanks for posting this. Held off on the popcorn at the cinema last week because i didn't want to guess. Never thought of asking them to weigh it!