Pasta!

5 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been asked before, what do people do about QA with low GI, but high carb foods like pasta?

I normally guestimate my carbs in pasta and then run high all evening, but last night I used the carbs app on iphone and calc'd based on 30g of pasta (cooked) for 1CP, I had 150g of pasta so should have injected for 5CP, this seemed too much on previous knowledge so injected for 4CP.

Had a hypo that lasted all night, ended up having about a litre of juice and snacks, kept testing, I would go up for a bit while eating snacks then plummet again, way overdid QA with pasta.

I know I probably need this much QA as pasta is high carb, but being low GI I hypo before the pasta kicks in, the alternative is to underestimate and run high later.

Neither solution is nice! How do other people cope with low GI/ high Carb?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Annette Bell DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
68 posts

I have a similar problem when I eat curry & rice. I have half the necessary QA before I eat, & then the other half at bedtime, even if my BG is slightly low, and this seems to work so far! Hope this helps. (Haven't noticed a problem with pasta though!)

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would also recommend splitting the dose to accommodate for slower/delayed digestion............

you will need to test though, a bit of trial and error to see what kinds of pasta dishes do what... Very Happy

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Thanks for feedback, like the idea of testing (eating more Very Happy )

Shame pasta also needs a nice glass of white which would scupper testing Mad

mac57 DAFNE Graduate
South of Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

hi phil ive just read your msg about pasta and ive had problems for years with pasta and blood sugars.I tend to have low bs and ive tried all kinds of things but it got so bad that i tend to avoid pasta now even though i like it,its just not worth the trouble.I think it needs further investigation ,also have trouble with rice sometimes.