Quorn and vegetarian substitutes

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

bennettpl DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
3 posts

Hi everyone
I eat a lot of these as don't eat meat. Although the carb is given on the packet, I have made mistakes in the past before Dafne by using too much QA using packet info. From what I understood on the course, this is because some carb doesn't need QA because it is absorbed so slowly into the body. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? No vegetarian foods are listed in the Dafne CP list that I can find.

Thanks.

Kordula B DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
6 posts

we don't eat meat in this household and before dafne I used QI for the lentils and other pulses as per nutritional info in "carb counting" lists.... with the problems you describe - I had a dreadful few months
We eat quorn burgers ( occasionally) and sausages which contain rusk - so explain the 7 g carb per sausage on the box / bag, dto Linda sausages ( tastier than Quorn) - so I inject 2 IU for my three sausages
quorn is mainly mycoprotein - i.e. made from fungi = vegetable that don't count! - so no QI to cover - unless you have breaded or battered cutlets etc
You are right - updated CP lists do need a "vegetarian section"

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I can create a vegetarian section on the site for you to add entries to. However I don't think the paper Carb Lists will have a vegetarian section added unless dieticians understand what foods you want entries added for. From what you say the values on the packaging are not that helpful anyway due to the low GI of these foods which make them difficult to 'cover' with QA insulin.
So if you want to create your own list on the site we can do that and since I submit these 'added' entries to the DAFNE Dieticians we may even get a section added to the Carb Counting book in future.

bennettpl DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
3 posts

That's a great idea! Thanks, Marke!