Indian meal

4 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Hi all,

I'm going for an indian at the weekend & being as i'm a creature of habit will probably be having:

Starter
Pakoras

Main
Chicken or prawn dopiaza
Pilau rice

Pudding
Birthday cake (1 small slice of my DD's 22nd cake)

1. does anyone have any idea of the carbs in any of the above? I do have the carbs and cals book but can't find some of the above food in it.
2. would you inject all in one go or some at the start of eating then the rest after 1 hour of eating?

Thanks in advace for any help.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Pakora depends on whats inside but probably between 10-20g per piece. The carbs and cals books says 10g for every 45g of pakora, so if you could weigh your pakora you can work out the carbs...

The main curry wont have much apart from in the sauce so I would guess between 10-20g of carbs for that....

The rice should follow the usual take away rules, which I think is 75g of carbs for every 300g tray, the trays you get from the take away places, you know the ones....

Finally the cake, if its shop bought you should be able to get the exact carb value from the packaging, if not you might have to guess. I recently had a slice of small cake, so a sixth of the whole thing and it came in at 50g. But it will vary as you know....

There is probably a high fat content in there, but it would mostly be oil I suppose, so I would probably inject before hand, and for me, it would be about 30-40 minutes before hand. Follow the usual rules in your case.

It would probably be a good idea to test regularly over the course of digestion to see what your BG is doing. This can be useful information for the next time...

Enjoy you meal........ Wink

Thank you very much novorapidboi26 for your very helful reply. This will all be extremely useful.

I have eventually found pakoras in the carbs and cals book, page 286 of the pocket version.

The cake is a Cadbury Flake cake - 12 portions size and which says on the packaging 39.6g Per Slice.

I will as you say follow all my usual rules and will also test regularly over the course of digestion to see what my BG is doing.

Thank you i will enjoy my meal, i'm quite looking forward to it. Smile

Well i'm sorry to have to say that after asking questions re my indian meal we ended up with other plans however we will be going for this indian meal in the next few weeks so all help will still be very useful & i'll come back and let you know how i get on with it.