Angel Delight - help!

10 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Wonder if someone could advise please, on the packet it says it weights 59g, in powder form. On the bit with all the values it says carbohydrate "per 100g" and "per 92g serving". I have no idea how much my serving weighs (how do you weigh it made up?) should I go by the picture in the carb counting book (under "strawberry delight").

MelissaF DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
56 posts

Hi Diane,

I had a vague memory that somewhere on the packet it says that a 92g serving is a quarter of a packet (made up) or 1/3 of a packet. Can you see anything like that at all?

Melissa

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

This is the most confusing info on a packet I have ever seen!

It says the packet weighs 59g which seems irrelevant really.

It says 4 portions per pack.

Carbohydrate value "per 100g as sold" (what the heck does that mean?) = 73.1g so 7 or7.5 CP?
Carbohydrate value per 92g portion prepared with semi skimmed milk = 14.4g so 1.5 CP

So say my husband and I share a pack Shocked then that is equivalent of 2 portions each, but made with full milk ..........aaargh!!!!

Should I tell the husband Angel Delight is off? lol

MelissaF DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
56 posts

Nope that's fine - so there are 4 portions in a packet so the "carbohydrate per 92g portion" measure is per quarter of what you've made up. So, if you and your husband had 1/2 each then just double that reading to get your CP - so 28.8g or 3 portions (give or take). That will include the milk as well. Shouldn't make much difference to your CP amount whether you used whole milk or not, only to the fat content if you're measuring that as well. Does that make sense?

The "as sold" measures I think are per 100g of powder which is pretty pointless really as who's going to eat the powder!

M xx

PS: Sainsbury's do their own sugar free version of the Butterscotch angel delight that's lower in CP as it has artificial sweeteners in it. It tastes lovely though - and sets better!

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Oh thanks Melissa, you are clearly better at this than me! This really stumped me. I suppose I should eat the sugar free version I know Crying or Very sad but I was determined I was going to get this worked out somehow. I can usually do the working out from labels, sometimes with a calculator, but this stumped me. Now I shall be able to eat it with a clear conscience and hubby will be happy too!

MelissaF DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
56 posts

You don't necessarily need the sugar free version as, by using the DAFNE rules, so long as you can calculate the amount correctly then you should be able to eat either. That's from a DAFNE point of view obviously - the sugar free one will have less calories if you're counting those too! I usually try the sugar free options just to see what they're like - some are fine and some are disgusting. If you find one that's nice then it's a double bonus!

It can be really confusing when they talk about portion size (not least because their idea of a portion is usually a lot less than mine is!) but, I usually find that when they do, there is something on the packaging somewhere that will tell you what percentage of the packet or what weight constitutes a portion - then you can work it out from there.

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Oh yess I know, for example I had a sandwich the other day which gave a value for 100g but the pack weighed 176g - duh! Normally things will say "per pack" but there is always something to test you! 'm ok with maths and ratios I think. Yes i agree, it's normally clear enough. I've become quite addicted to checking, which is a good thing I suppose!

MelissaF DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
56 posts

It helps with peace of mind doesn't it? However, it drives me mad when I've calculated correctly due to the packaging and my BG are way out afterwards.

Sometimes I'm not so sure if they're always right. For instance, Eat claim that their baguettes are 60g carbs (or thereabouts) and I'm sure that they're closer to 80g!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I personally would work out the CPS in 1 gram, so the 100g carb value divided by 100.

Then weigh the powder and multiply that value by the 1g CPs........

From the ASDA nutritional web page it states that for the strawberry one that there is 67.3g of carbs per 100g of powder........therefore 67.3/100 = 0.673g of carbs in 1g of powder.......

Weigh the powder your going to use and multiply the weighed value by 0.673, this will give you the amount of carbs in grams for the powder you are going to use..........

How much milk goes in? I wouldn't imagine it would be lots and therefore you would only be looking at 1CP [10g] of carb likely........

Its says on the ASDA page that an 89g portion prepared with semi skimmed milk is 11.5g [1CP], but how is that possible if the box only holds 59g. For this reason alone I would choose to work out the CPs in 1g route as described above.......

I assume you have scales, if not, invest in some............eventually you will remember how much insulin to take for a typical Angel delight and you wont need to do all this work.......

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

MelissaF said:
For instance, Eat claim that their baguettes are 60g carbs (or thereabouts) and I'm sure that they're closer to 80g!

For normal sized baguette with an inch/inch and a half girth, then its usually 1 CP for every inch in length........ Very Happy