new to carb counting

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

jonopesda 1 post [Shared diary only visible when logged in]

hi all I am new to this forum

I have been a t1 diabetic since 2000,I am 39 yers old,male weighing 88kg .... for the first 5 years I had good diabetic control..then for the last couple of years since
I started working for my self I havent been looking after myself properly.
The trouble is I work on roofs!!....and really could do without hypos

had a wake up call recently my vision was getting worse,some changes were observed during eye screening and had laser treatment

my last hba1c was 100 (11.3 i think)

over the last couple of days have been searching the net for info,and been trying to count carbs

i take lantus in the morning and novo rapid.

Ahmentep DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
99 posts

Hi jonopesda,

Welcome!

Firstly, please, please make sure you always have a bottle of Lucozade with you up on the roof, and when you are going up and down the ladder.

Secondly, I wonder if your ratios are right, particularly at lunch and dinner.

Thirdly, perhaps you should talk to your diabetes team about whether you are on the best basal insulin. Possibly a split dose of Levemir might be better.

Do remember to change only one thing at a time, and by small amounts. But check with your team first.

Best of luck!

Roger

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hi and welcome to the site................

Getting to grips with carb counting is fairly straight forward fortunately, its getting that right alongside dose changes etc that can be tricky............

The first thing to do is test your background insulin dose, firstly overnight, and then during the day..........you do this by omitting carbs and insulin for a period of 5 hours roughly, so miss a meal or go carb free, this will let you know if its right or wrong, allowing you to adjust it up or down depending on the outcome. Then and only then can you start to think about insulin/carb ratios with your novorapid........

A discussion with your team would be advisable.......

your results don't have any noticeable pattern, which can be expected, but its clear your putting in the effort, so well done........

joanne78 DAFNE Graduate
Princess Alexandra Hospital, Queensland
8 posts

Jenopesda,
I am also new here and have only just graduated, so I don't pretend to be an expert but it is a journey. If I could just make a comment the way you have written in your records appear to be incorrect if you are on a 1:1 ratio. Let's look at monday 23/4 as an example you have recorded your b'fast at 8:53am, you had 4cp's and 5 units, if you were on 1:1 ration that would have been 4 units, but perhaps you meant to write 4+1 for a correction dose which would make sense as your BGL is a high at 10.0 so a 1 correction should make you bgl come down to 7-8mml. So maybe just be mindful that the way you have written your records it can be miscontued. If you have breakfast at 8:30am most days i would recommend you eat your breakfast as per usual, then fast for lunch and then have dinner as per usual if you bgl's remain steady throughout the day you will know that your background insulin is doing its job correctly, if it raises you may have to look at increasing your dose and or splitting your dose.
It appears you may need to change your dinner ratio and adjust accordingly, but as stated you would first fast to check what you BI is doing. I am also on lantus and novo and take some lantus at breakfast and some before dinner which eliminates the possibility of it running out close to that 24 hr duration ( which vary's from person to person). I wish you well.