Croissant the Rubicon

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

moflaherty
University College Hospital, Galway
5 posts

Had a big breakfast this morning including a croissant. I gave the appropriate dose including 2cp for the croissant. Two hours later bg is 23.2 . Gave an extra four iu and before lunch was down to 14.8. I then tried some research. I gave an extra four for the high bg and 1.5x2 for lunch which was a croissant. Three hours later and bg was 15.8. Can I conclude from this that croissants drive my bg mad! I had not been hypo leading up to this. Has anyone found foods that have a similar effect? Its just a little bit crazy! Moflaherty

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

As a type 1 you should be able to have any foods with insulin timing.....

What was your pre breakfast blood glucose reading......?
Was there any corrections....?
Do you realise there can be different corrections ratios for higher blood sugar readings.....?

Some foods can be difficult to deal with but it's usually to do with the different absorption rates....

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

2 CP sounds right so I wonder what's up? We need a lot more information than you've given. Try to use the diary feature on the App to post up some results to show the full picture.

Two hours is not a very long time to let your insulin work.. depending on what your insulin is, it can work from 2- 5 hours... are you definitely sure it's finished working?

Also, as NB is hinting, sometimes what you've eaten with it can affect what happens to your BG during the QA insulin working time, but as long as you check at the end of your QA insulin's working time, then you'll get a much clearer picture.

You really shouldn't be correcting mid-way between insulin working time, you might hypo and it means you have wait longer for your QA to finish.

I hope this makes sense... have you actually done the DAFNE course yet? You're giving the impression you haven't... take care.

moflaherty
5 posts

BG was 10.8 before breakfast. Possible dawn phenomenon.

I generally apply a correction of 1iu for each 2mmol over target hence a correction of +2. On the higher end but necessary I find.

No I did'nt realise there were different corrections for higher BGs. Hands up! I just stuck to the maximum limit of 4. Will check the big orange book again.

I was'nt singling out the croissants just because they are French (though that is a good reason), but I have noticed this effect before which is why I rarely eat them.

I guess the mid-way correction was a hasty reaction to a very elevated BG reading. But dealing with high BGs quickly has kept me alive and complication free for the 34 years leading up to DAFNE.

I suppose I should get to grips with the online diary. Watch this space.

I think the possibilities are:
1) Lipoatrophy which was spotted in the middle of my stomach late last year after which I switched things around a little. The croissant breakfast was in a hotel so I reverted to the easiest most discrete spot which is the middle part of the stomach.
2) Crazy Croissant phenomenon.....less likely I think but I will continue the research

Thanks for the advice

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

your injection site will definitely be playing a part if you have got problems there, if you do you should really get into the habit of injecting elsewhere, like your arms maybe......

in all honesty i actually never heard of the 4 unit maximum when doing dafne, however i then discovered it was a number in place when attending the course, so purely for safety reasons, so now your out, if you have attended a course, i would disregard that maximum.....

what if you were 23mmol/l, take 4 units..................unlikely.........

moflaherty
5 posts

Thanks for that.