Chocolate Muffins

7 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

jgibson1962 29 posts

I've just been given a chocolate muffin, its 55g Carbs, i have a steady food regime and was wondering whether i should eat it all now, or eat half now and the other half this afternoon as a snack. I have my normal sandwiches for lunch and obviously dont want to waste them, so if i eat half now when i do my BG i could compensate with extra insulin. confused :{

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Assuming you wont be eating your sandwiches till about 12:00 you should really be taking insulin for it.............

Whether you eat half now, or it all now wont matter as far as insulin is concerned......[would you not be able to eat your sandwiches if you ate the full muffin, I know I would have no problems......... Wink ]

Active insulin/insulin on board would need to be considered, but without a meter to help you it can sometimes be tricky..............

My insulinX meter works out my insulin on board by taking my previous dose, in this case your breakfast dose, dividing it up over my preprogrammed insulin activity time, for me 4.5 hours but maximum 5 hours, then subtracting that result from my normal dose calculation...............

Example

6 units of insulin for breakfast @7:00am

Decide to have muffin @9:00am [5.5 units]

BG@9:00 - 8.5mmol/l

Ratio @9:00 - 1.5:1

Therefore dose calculation;

5.5 x 1.5 - 8.25 [8 units]

8 units + 1 units correction for 8.5 BG reading - 3 units active insulin = 6 units

you wouldn't normally consider correcting when your previous dose is still working but the meter includes this..

The active insulin calculations is 6 unit over 4.5hours[270 minutes], so 0.022 units/minute.............

2hours have elapsed, meaning 2.64units [0.022x 120minutes] have been used, 6 - 2.64 = 3.36 [3 units....]

WOW, that a lot of calculations...............

This has worked for me most of the time, but the only way to find out would be to test and see the results, remember not to correct at lunchtime...........

jgibson1962 29 posts

Wow! thats a handful....Ok! i'll do that next time. My lunchtime reading was a little high so i compensated. Getting there gradually. Cheers for your advice.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

It is a lot, the main point is really acknowledging that there may still be insulin working and that taking the full wack for whatever snack your hving may result in a hypo...........

the less carbs in your snack, the more succesful you will be in dosing it in between meals...................... Wink

Anele46 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
109 posts

jgibson1962 said:
I've just been given a chocolate muffin, its 55g Carbs, i have a steady food regime and was wondering whether i should eat it all now, or eat half now and the other half this afternoon as a snack. I have my normal sandwiches for lunch and obviously dont want to waste them, so if i eat half now when i do my BG i could compensate with extra insulin. confused :{

Hello, I remeber from my DAFNE course last year that if you had a snack in between your meals then I was advised not to correct with QA as there will still be QA in your system sunce your previous meal (I am on Novorapid QA whcih lasts for 4-5 hrs) and therefore was advised that provided you had covered your previous meal with the correct amount of QA then there would be no need to correct when eating ther snack so I generally do not correct when eating a snack 1-2 hrs in between my meals to avoid a hypo.

Hope this helps Smile
Cheers,
Anele.

jgibson1962 29 posts

Thanks for all your advice. In the end i basically picked at the muffin without any adjustments to my insulin and it didnt really make any difference, maybe one or two notches on the geiger counter. Between meals i usually eat bananas or an apple or pear and even the occasional Frosties breakfast bar. But sometimes, especially working in a office, someone brings in cakes and i mean it is teamwork isnt it and i have to do my duty to the team.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

so did you have the full muffin without any insulin and only had a small effect on BG?.........................