fresh cherries?

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

JennyNZ 29 posts

hi all. Just logged on for the first time - what a great little site!! Have a question about fresh cherries. Down here in NZ its the middle of summer so all the pip fruit are out - yum! but cant find CP's for cherries anywhere - what are they? The carbs for cherries are 18g per 1 cup but they dont appear in the CP book and it says in the DAFNE book that you dont count CP's for them - any idea why not?
Jen

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

A source from the internet said that 10 cherries contained 10.9g of carbohydrate, so not a lot of carbs there..............

The reason the handbook says that cherries shouldn't be counted is because they has a low Glycemic Index, which basically means it has a minimal effect on the blood sugar due to slow absorption, so the QA insulin we take would be too fast for it, and so leaving it up to your BI insulin to process......

However, everyone is different, some folk even need to consider QA insulin for protein and fats, people who are on smaller doses of BI or on pumps can experience this........

So, the best thing to do is eat your cherries, and then test and record to see what happens, then tweak your insulin if you need to...........

Hopefully you can consume copious amounts of cherries without any worry of insulin...............

Oh, and welcome to the forum............. Wink

Anele46 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
109 posts

Hi Jen,
Welcome to the DAFNE family Very Happy
My supermarket sells a pot of cherries weighing 80g and I find I don't need to inject QA to cover them but as Novorapidboi26 says everyone is different and totally agree with the advice of eat first and correct later (if needs be).

Enjoy the cherries!
Yum yum Smile
Cheers,
Anele x