Tefal Actifry

10 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Devinesign DAFNE Graduate
Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
6 posts

Is there a resource anywhere for carbohydrate content of foods usually done in a deep fat fryer now cooked in the new Tefal Actifry? I have searched online and am getting the variance of 1.3cp per 100 g to zero which is obviously rubbish. I am sooo frustrated at the lack of information on carbs, as calories are covered ad infinitum!! (Rant Over) any help would be appreciated Very Happy

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Welcome to the forum.............

The carbs and cals book states that both oven chips and chip shop chips have roughly 0.3grams of carbohydrate for every 1g of chips............

But I suppose oven chips have been fried already and you are just reheating...............

The oil content obviously has no carbs, however I dont know what kind of changes, if any, frying with less oil would have to the carbohydrate value of the potato.................I would assume it would not be anything significant anyway...........

I hope someone else has a better answer...........

6 posts

Thank you for the welcome and your response Smile

I guessed at the cooking process being similar to oven baking and calculated accordingly (I only took 4 chips as a trial) There are obviously more CPs in the actifry chips than either oven or fried as my blood was 11 when I was heading to bed. The chips loose so much moisture in the cooking that per g of weighed food the carbs are more concentrated. I wish when companies promote a new machine on health grounds they would supply guidance on the range of nutritional changes the machine will make to the food!! Does anyone else use the Actifry? Has anyone cracked the calculation of Carbs with it?

Any help will be really really appreciated!!

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/tefal-actifry

Dont know how reliable that is personally.........it seems that the carb value is cut when using it, is that right?

6 posts

This was the site I found last night but as you can see, some of their values are a bit daft - one gives 100g of chips as having 0g CHO, yet another gives 100g as having 13.5g. This doesn't seem sensible! Either way I think I will guestimate my values based on oven chips and add a bit !! not very scientific but I think it is the best I can do.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I have seen myself contacting the folk who make certain products to get nutritional information from them...........

If you think you will be using it frequently, maybe a wee email might do the trick..........

SueA DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
9 posts

I have a similar problem with jacket potatoes, I like to microwave them first then finish them off in the oven, so when I remember I weigh the potato before cooking. Potato raw is 1.5cp per 100g, I dont't think any carbohydrate is lost in cooking. This is a little more tricky when cooking for a family, however. I have been considering buying a tefal actifry how do the chips taste?

Jenny DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
27 posts

Could you weigh them based on jacket potato? Maybe you will have to have a few guesses and then write it in your carb book in the notes section.

6 posts

SueA said:
I have a similar problem with jacket potatoes, I like to microwave them first then finish them off in the oven, so when I remember I weigh the potato before cooking. Potato raw is 1.5cp per 100g, I dont't think any carbohydrate is lost in cooking. This is a little more tricky when cooking for a family, however. I have been considering buying a tefal actifry how do the chips taste?

They are great as soon as they come out of the fryer but once they begin to cool they go dry like oven chips. I would say that unless you have chips regularly I would stick to the normal deep fry. Smile

6 posts

Jenny said:
Could you weigh them based on jacket potato? Maybe you will have to have a few guesses and then write it in your carb book in the notes section.

I will be guestimating in future with my next guess going on the lines of 25g of cooked chips equating to 1 CP rather than the quoted 30g of chips and see how that goes and if still not right, then I will notch it back again to 20g.