Poppadoms - really?

9 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alzibiff DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
21 posts

I know that is says "verified" in the Carb counting section but am I the only one who thinks that 3 large poppadoms contain significantly more carbs than what is indicated in the DAFNE handbook - 1 CP? Just a gut feeling (no pun intended) but I would reckon more like 3CPs for 3 large poppadoms - 1 CP each but I would be interested in the opinion / experience of others.

Thank you,
Alan

Alzibiff DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
21 posts

sjohno,
Thank you for your reply - one question: how large is large? The ones from our local takeaway must be around 30cm across (12 inches) and without sounding personal, how large are yours? Embarassed

Alan

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The carbs and cals book suggest that a 25g poppadum, which has the circumference of a dinner plate, so IMO a large one, contains 7g of CPs, so in fact 3 may be closer to 20g of carbs [2CPs.......]

P.S.

125 calories in this portion also.......................... Laughing Laughing

vaughanie DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
5 posts

I just had a curry last weekend, my first ever since I did the DAFNE and looks like l got my CP count not just outside the ball park, but in the next town!

I had 1 poppa, what I thought was half a plate of rice, chicken breast with minced lamb inside and a half plate of sauce. Thinking it was more like 10CP than the 6CPs I allowed for!

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Some chefs put a shine on their curry sauces by adding sugar.
It is well worth asking to speak to the chef in your favourite curry house and outline your needs to him.
From my experience, visiting a new place can have some astounding post-meal BG results and I have seen 20.6 in the past Embarassed
Regards
Garry

Adrienne DAFNE Graduate
Waitemata DHB, Auckland
14 posts

vaughanie, I've had similar problems with bought curries and I've concluded it must be sugar added to the sauce as Garry mentioned. Sometimes I do a carb-free(ish) curry using cauliflower rice instead of basmati and my sugars have still gone right up.
As for poppadoms, my dafne book says a large one means 15cm (6") diameter and that's 1/2 a CP for one. I think that has worked ok in the past for me.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I love Indian food, but I find it is really hard on my BGs. I now only do take-away as I just can't eat white rice without an enormous spike in BGLs and I have yet to find an Indian restaurant that does brown rice. I cook brown rice at home and then add the dish I buy to it. I generally give myself more QA than I think I will need, and it is rare that I have a hypo as a result. I have to watch out for Naan bread too.

Adrienne DAFNE Graduate
Waitemata DHB, Auckland
14 posts

It's interesting that you find brown rice better because I thought white basmati had the lowest GI rating. Perhaps it has to do with the added fibre in brown rice (?) Might give that a try Smile

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I have heard that about Basmati, but for me it spikes BGs as badly as white rice so I avoid it. Brown rice is brilliant though.