Parsnips

10 posts, 8 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Vince DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
2 posts

Hi

First post. Does anyone know the CP value of roasted parsnips? I've assumed the same as a roast potato but not sure....any ideas please?

sphillips DAFNE HCP
University Hospitals, Leicester
24 posts

Hi. How did it work out when you counted the same as pots? If you count them I'd be tempted to only count half the cp value as they may only have a limited affect on your BG due to their low GI value.

Vince DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
2 posts

I think it was ok but i had to estimate everything as i forgot my cp book and not easy to weigh food as i was out.

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

so do you count cp value in parsnips, I've weighed my portion of 100g which is 30/ 3cp. No sure if you count them or not, I thought I heard you do....help?

Sam x

Hollow Choco... DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

Hi there, newly done the DAFNE course in durham, 1st week and counting.
I would personally count the parsnips as potatoes, They were the main source of carbohydrate before the introduction of potatoes in Europe, plus, if you had them in a restaurant, chances are they wouldve been cooked with honey/syrup/brown sugar.Hope this helps.

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Where did you get 3CP for 100g - not in http://dafneonline.co.uk/carb_counting.pdf so I would have not counted them.

Its a big chance to take - if you are on a 1:1 and take 3 units too much !

Time and testing is the best way, but i would not count as you can always give an adjustment later

pallison 1 post

I wouldn't count them at all. Very low GI. I've been doing DAFNE now for over 3 years with great success & would view a parsnip as similar to a turnip or carrot.

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Hi Karl

Got 3cp from looking at the packaging from a bag of asdas parsnips and worked it out. I did take insulin to match them and my result at dinner was 17.2 I did a 1.5:1 went swimming that night so before I started I was 14.2 1 hour later and going to bed I was at 5.7, not sure if that answers the question to taking insulin for parsnips as I did some excercise and it's more than likely the reason.

There seems to be mixed opinions and probably won't eat them until I know for definite.

Sam

laurals11 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
11 posts

..I usually do the try adding one new thing to a meal ..estimate cp value ,test after 2 hours and adjust next time. I haven't tried roast parsnips but boiled work out at half cp value of potatoes for me probably because of low GI

Emma OToole 4 posts

I had this discussion with my dietician in Dublin. I find it very hard to gauge how much parsnips are on CP scale. Looking at some packaging from Tesco, on some ready made meals (I don't normally eat these only just for research purposes), parsnips would be as heavily laden in CP's as potatoes. Everyone is different and it does depend on the fat content with the rest of your meal with regards to carb absorption.

At the beginning I did notice a massive increase in my levels. I then lowered the portion size and slightly increased my insulin. Just for parsnips alone on a roughly 2 dessert spoons I'd calculate 2CP. They is just by eye balling the food and my how my levels don't soar afterwards