Kendal Mint Cake

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Lizzie DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
87 posts

Does anyone know how many carbs are in this? It has nothing on the packaging to say. But during a recent holiday it seemed effective at treating hypos (nibbling a bit and guessing when to stop).

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

from googling, it looks like a chocolate bar............is that the right one.............?

if so, its 95g of CHO for every 100g, so a 170g bar/cake is about 162g of CHO, so for the lot 16 unit[ x ratio]..........

it seems as though its pretty much all sugar and glucose syrup, which would be fine for a hypo, but it has oil in it, which will slow the absorption, and that's no good for a hypo............and you would be looking for about 15g out of the 170 to treat it, so I would imagine not a lot......

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

The oil is probably in the chocolate surrounding it - you can get varieties without choc so they might be slightly faster acting.

Lizzie DAFNE Graduate
87 posts

Thanks. I think the peppermint oil is just a flavouring, it is basically pure glucose set in a bar. I just found it to be more palatable than glucose tablets and easier to carry around than lucozade.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Might need to try this out, the fact that its set in some kind of fatty [all oil is kinda fat] coating then it will be slowed, but maybe not as much as normal chocolate with lots of saturated fat...........

Lizzie DAFNE Graduate
87 posts

You can get it without the chocolate on, it is mainly available in outdoors type shops except in the Lake District. I have emailed the manufacturers about precise carb values and will report back if I get a response.