chinese chicken balls!!

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Does anyone know how many CPs are in a chinese chicken ball in batter? I've just ate 6 and guessing each one is 1CP. I've had a look in the carb counter and it's got sweet and sour batter not sure if this is the same thing?! Oh and does anyone know if the curry sause puts your sugars up, I know Indian has this affect!

Sam

shazz_5683 DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
13 posts

Hi Sam
Just read your message...I always count Chicken balls as 1cp as i tend to find when i eat chinese i hypo soon after!!! As for the curry sauce i really dont know as i dont est it!
Good Luck

Shazz x

sphillips DAFNE HCP
University Hospitals, Leicester
24 posts

Hi I think they're probably about 1cp. It might be worth checking on the ready made stuff in the supermarket if they have something similar you could use the cp value from the packaging as a guide? From what people tell me i think there are two main reasons why people have hypos after a takeaway 1) difficulty in correctly estimating cp's and 2)Often takeaways are quite high in fat so the glucose from the meal is released quite slowly into the blood, even though the total cp value of the meal is often high, some people find that giving a split dose of QA insulin helps.

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

thanks for the replies guys. I just counted them as 1cp was slightly high before bed but was fighting a cold too. when you say split QA do you mean take some before meal and the rest after meal?

Sam

sphillips DAFNE HCP
University Hospitals, Leicester
24 posts

Yes it works for some people. Calculate the ratio in the same way and any corrections and then give as 2 injections, one before the meal and one about 30 min later. People using a pump have this facility on the pump.